Pavel's Reviews > A Hundred Million Francs

A Hundred Million Francs by Paul Berna

Oct 02, 11

bookshelves: read-with-sonya

Small gang of poor, suburb, post WWII children are getting back their toy horse, which was mysteriously stolen by some suspiciois adults.
The book is very wordy, excessive in details, not entirely thought out in the way story progresses. Another obvious flaw is that the children characters are somewhat cheesy: all of them are only brave or funny and thoughtfull and nothing else. Also me and Sonya knew what will happen with the horse from the beggining, it was obvious. But still, the book had some good moments and it has this atmosphere of post-war. collapsed world where children still trying to squeeze some fun out of nothing.
There was a British film named "Horse with no head" made in 60's and based on this book, but I couldn't find it and have no idea if it's any good.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Hundred Million Francs.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell Good review Pavel! The "Horse with no Head" movie sounds interesting...

Pavel it does,something tells me it can be better then the book

message 3: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell Pavel wrote: "it does,something tells me it can be better then the book"

Yeah! I notice that there were a lot of movies that were better than the book like Shrek. Have you read the book Shrek before?

Pavel No, I didn't. My daughter doesn't like Shrek series for some reason, so I even didn't really watched the movies, not to speak of books :)

message 5: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell Oh, it's great although I personally liked it. What movies does your daughter watch?

Pavel She prefers books and drawing. Last time we were at the movies, it was Kung-fu Panda 2 I think and we both were disgusted by the film.

message 7: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell Oh I haven't seen Kung Fu Panda 2 yet, so I'm not sure about how good or bad that film is. I love books also, especially if they way better than the movies!