Mel's Reviews > Come Unto These Yellow Sands

Oct 22, 11

bookshelves: m-m, e-book
Read from October 09 to 22, 2011

(3,5 stars really)
I have to admit that I feel bad giving a Josh Lanyon book a 'mere' 3 star rating. I could almost say that his writing is just so good, it deserves a 5 star rating by default. But in comparison to the Adrien English books (which I gave 4 and 5 star ratings) this one didn't grab me as much, so I had to round it down to a 3.

That's not to say that these books are very similar to the Adrien English series. Yes: both are about well bred gay men with a love for literature and cop boy friends. But that's about where the similarities end. Where as Adrien is an amateur sleuth who deliberately sticks his nose into trouble, Swift couldn't care less about the answer to the whodunit.
Swift has a very distinct voice, the fact that the story is told in third person and has less humor also helps setting Adrien and Swift apart as two very different characters. In this, Lanyon succeeded in writing a book which has that Lanyon feel, without being a carbon copy of his other books.

My main peeve with this book is that there was too much story to tell for too little pages. Swift's relationship with Max, with his mother, the school board, his insecurities about his drug abuse, his poetry... It feel like we only skimmed the surface of something which much more depth. This left me not completely satisfied.

That being said: Come Unto These Yellow Sands is a must read for every Lanyon fan and everyone who appreciates good writing in general.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Come Unto These Yellow Sands.

10/22/2011

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick I'm thinking about grabbing this one, Mel. How is it? Good plot? Interesting characters?

message 2: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Honestly I didn't really have time to get into it. And I think I'm also reluctant because I miss Adrien (English) so much. But hey: it's Lanyon, so guaranteed good writing and interesting characters. I'd say: grab it :)

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Oooooh, the Adrien English series? I keep hearing so much about them. Is that a better place to start?

message 4: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel I'm not sure if it's better because it's so good and you'll start comparing other stuff to it. But I'd definitely recommend it. It starts of mellow but it sucks you in big time.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Thanks, Mel, I appreciate it a lot!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

This and AE are really similar in some ways, so either's a good starting point. Adrien's story is more complex because it's 5 fairly long books and Sebastian only gets a short novella, poor guy. So depends what you're looking for.

Mel, I'd read other Lanyons between AE and this one. They are so much alike in some ways it might bother you. Try the Dangerous Ground series or I Spy Something Bloody.

Beanbag Love Mel, this story is really good, but it's very much like an alt-ending sequel to Adrien English.

Because Max reminds me so much of Jake (not looks, but vibe) what if: (view spoiler)

Anyway, that kept popping into my mind while I was reading it and I enjoyed it all the more.

Fair Game is a really good Lanyon story too.

And Mexican Heat which he wrote with Laura B... somebody. I can never remember her last name. Anyway, that's a story that I really loved, too.

message 8: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Thanks girls! Maybe it's best if I read something else first.

Meanwhile, Kate: I had written Sonny and he replied me. I love the man!

Lauraadriana Did you finish it hon?

Lauraadriana OMG are you NYC?

message 11: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Oh no, I'm fairly in the beginning. Swift is going to his cabin now.

I'm still in NL. My flight will leave at 13:25 and I'll arrive 18:00 East coast time. Tell me your flight leaves around that time from JFK so we can bump into each other at yet another airport ;)

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Mel wrote: "Thanks girls! Maybe it's best if I read something else first.

Meanwhile, Kate: I had written Sonny and he replied me. I love the man!"

Yay! And you are going to meet him and convince him to finish Fade right away, aren't you???!! He'll swoon at your feet, lovely.

Have fun in NYC. Don't get in too much trouble. ;)

message 13: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Thanks! :) My mom is with me, so sadly: the amount of trouble I can get in, is really limited.

I shall write Sonny back now and ask for his home address ;)

message 14: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Okay I finally finished. I can understand people who found this similar to the AE series, but I don't agree. Despite the similarities Adrien and Swift felt very different to me. That's not to say that I can stop myself from comparing them.
It was good story but I didn't love it in the same level as I did Adrien's books.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't think Adrien and Swift are the same personality wise, but they play the exact same roles in the story and vis a vis the lover (Max or Jake). The dynamic between damaged, intellectual, wealthy guy and big, blue collar cop guy is very similar.

message 16: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Similar yes, but to me it still felt different. Despite the similarities.