Liralen's Reviews > What Came First

What Came First by Carol Snow

Dec 19, 13

bookshelves: fiction, first-reads, z-2011, reviewed

I liked this. I wasn't entirely sure what to expect -- it was a giveaway and looked like, effectively, a light, fun read --but my (admittedly vague) expectations, such as they were, were pretty accurate. Not quite a beach read but definitely an easy vacation read; chick lit; not going on my favourite-books-ever shelf (erm, if I had such a shelf) but something that I can in good conscience suggest that someone else read.

Paradoxically, I don't love any of the characters but I do love that they aren't all lovable. (Clear as mud?) Flawed characters -- the ones who do dumb things and regret it, who make mistakes, who are sometimes petty and, more importantly, are intended to be seen as such in that moment -- are so much more interesting than characters who are never in the wrong. It makes them frustrating sometimes, yes, but also more believable, more accessible.

What I really appreciated, though, was that it wasn't all rainbows and happy endings. I mean, it's mainstream fiction, so of course there's some degree of resolution and wrapping things up, but the characters don't all end up with (view spoiler). My kind of a happy ending -- when there are good signs for the future but that future hasn't been wrapped up and handed to the characters with a giant bow.

I received a free copy of this book via a Goodreads giveaway.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Came First.