Luckngrace's Reviews > His Bright Light: The Story of My Son, Nick Traina

His Bright Light by Danielle Steel

Oct 02, 11

bookshelves: biography, psychology
Read on October 02, 2011

I read this book because of my own bipolar daughter. She's also been suicidal several times, but she'll soon die anyway from hepatitis C or liver cancer. You see, bipolars don't want to take their meds but, since their body needs the meds, they're drawn to cocaine or pain pills or heroin. I say hep C or liver cancer because people who do drugs lie and lie and manipulate and manipulate, but I can see her dying before my eyes. I have to wonder what help I could have given her had I possessed Danielle Steele's connections and resources. It's interesting that Nick was so loveable. My girld also has Borderline Personality Disorder as well as BP and only me, her mother, really loves her. Even her sisters and grandparents are weary of bailing her out of trouble, being her victim of theft, dramatic and embarrassing episodes that damage their reputations and job performance.

There are millions of families here in America who, like Danielle Steele and me, put our children into mental health care as young children only to find after many years that real help is just not there. In my state of North Carolina, the mental health system has been GUTTED. My town used to have it's own mental health system, but now there is only one mental health system for FIVE COUNTIES. That's way too far for poor families to travel for treatment. And the county where they based this system is the one that is famous for international golf tournaments. Money still talks, right?

I already lost 2 stepchildren to suicide, both at 35 years of age. My daughter is 32. Everybody who reads this, please pray for her...and for me and my other children and grandchildren. And young people, ask that guy or gal you love if they have any mental illness in their family before you marry. It is inherited.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read His Bright Light.

10/02/2011 page 111
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Adriana I also have a daughter with bipolar, as well as 2 cousins, and a great-niece. I found this book very illuminating in what a person with bipolar suffers. I was in a mastaer's program for counseling, but that only gives you the clinical side, not the personal. I have a deepened empathy for their struggles now. I'm grateful that most of the afflicted members of my family have managed to avoid the drug scene to self-medicate. I can see now how difficult it would be to navigate this disease without self-medicating. I am so sorry you're having to go through something as horrendous as watching your child die slowly. I will pray for you.

message 2: by Bev (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bev Walkling I too am so sorry to read of your struggles. My heart goes out to you!

Shaunaly ~  (A Book Away From An Episode Of Hoarders) I am so very sorry for what you are going through and will keep you and your daughter in my thoughts and prayers. BD is a horrific disease and for those who do not have a child suffering with it, have no idea of the pain, guilt, sadness, weakness, terror and helplessness, we as parents feel on a daily basis for not being able to help our child (and cure them). God Bless you and your family

Roxanne Blu How is your daughter now? I hope everything goes better for you and your family! Thank you for sharing your struggle. I'll pray too!