BoekenTrol's Reviews > Animal Farm

Animal Farm by George Orwell

May 07, 2008

bookshelves: literature_and_fiction, bookcrossing, books-i-own, english_language, 1001-listed, 2012, off_mtbr_2012
Recommended to BoekenTrol by: My English teacher
Recommended for: lamelemon
Read on April 29, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: once
BCID: 9724854

For a while I hesitated to read this book. Not because of the huge number of pages, but because I thought it would be difficult to write about what I think of it.

I've therefor decided to write my toughts about what I read, the story itself and leave aside the comparison to people / the book's contemporary politics. I do not have enough knowlegde of that to let my commentary make any sense. (I must admit though, that while reading, visions came up from the founding of the USSR.)

As a story I loved this little book. Obiously this is done on purpose, but the mini society the animals form after the Rebellion resembles more and more the 'normal' human society, where there are people taking the lead, people following blindly without criticizing a thing. There are smart people and not so smart people.
What I loved most, is that that the change from 'idealistic' society to a dictatorship is so fluently. It almost naturally follows from the actions taken.

Despite it was written in the last years of WW II, this satire / fable is still very actual. I'm glad that I finally read it :-)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Animal Farm.

04/29/2012 page 13