Joy (joyous reads)'s Reviews > Fear

Fear by Michael  Grant

Jun 03, 12

bookshelves: favourites
Read in June, 2012

Book number five of the Gone series was pretty much everything that I’d expected from Mr. Grant: Heart-stopping suspense in a relentless pursuit to make a basket case out of his readers. Well, you’ve done well, Mr. Grant. Bravo.

The kids of FAYZ have gone into two separate camps; and at the helms of these camps are brothers, Sam and Caine. For the moment, the siblings have come to some sort of temporary peace. But deep into the mine, the gaiaphage is anything but. It is terrified; it wants to get out to be reborn. Little Pete was his hope but his death ended that plan. The darkness, however, has a plan B.

As the slow build of terror comes to a simmer, the entire dome is slowly being swallowed by utter darkness. Darkness means no food; no food means hunger; hunger means chaos. But they have bigger problems to face first: Drake – the evil whip-hand is looking for blood. Commanded by the gaiaphage, Drake would do everything it asks especially if it meant he'd be able exact his revenge on the one he hated more than he hated Sam and his crew: Diana. He also realized that this time, no one will stop him from killing those he abhors. There's no rest for the weary of Perdido Beach and Michael Grant sure made this prevalent with every agony and suffering – both mental and physical – that he’d put his characters through.

Brand new terror and unspeakable pain - Fear was a different torment somehow; it was a slow progression of trepidation, and delight in pain in the most perverse way. Michael Grant rooted right through the minds of these kids and put them through some torture of a different kind. There were perspectives that gave me a more in-depth look into the state of mind of these kids. They were scared, of course, but the author dug deeper into their psyches. Also, some of the secondary characters have been given more play (which I loved!) and it almost felt like I was meeting them for the first time.

The ending was hopeful but sad and it ripped me. Without giving anything away, let’s just say that some of the kids of Perdido Beach are not feeling so hot about the dome lifting.

VERDICT: Michael Grant is a god; I either love him or fear him for his rich but disturbing imagination. The subsequent books to this series were my annual torment and delight. I looked forward and dreaded reading them just because my heart goes through calisthenics of a different kind when I do. Fear is by far, my favorite of the series because gosh darnnit, I can see the LIGHT at the end of the tunnel – or in this case, the mine. I am so ready for these kids to have a happy ending even though I know Michael Grant is probably going to make them work extra hard for it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fear.

05/29/2012 page 84
05/31/2012 page 264
52.0% "Oh ye, my annual delight and anguish!"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Crystal (new) - added it

Crystal You are making me want to continue on with this series lol. I stopped after the first one because it just felt too real! Is the second one good?

Joy (joyous reads) Crystal wrote: "You are making me want to continue on with this series lol. I stopped after the first one because it just felt too real! Is the second one good?"

It's detrimental to the overall good health of your vascular system! It hurts to read but dammit the books are so good. I love this series - which I find weird because I'm a mother and to read about what these kids go through ought to stop me from reading. It has an adverse effect!

Joy (joyous reads) Sam wrote: "You liked! Yay! Looking forward to your review. :)"
Love, love, love this series, Sam!

message 4: by Crystal (new) - added it

Crystal Yes they hurt my heart!! I was so emotionally drained after reading the first one that it took me weeks to feel normal again! Okay I think I might pick up the second one lol. I might have to take big breaks in between but I can't let myself miss out!

Joy (joyous reads) Definitely! The last book of the series should be just as awesome, if not more. I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I hope I'll be able to score an ARC. The wait is just too long and yes, you don't want to fall too behind.

Just go with it and have a shot of tequila ready! Lol.

message 6: by Crystal (last edited Jun 02, 2012 08:24PM) (new) - added it

Crystal Is there only one book left? I will cross my fingers for you that 1. the last book rocks and 2 that you get an early copy =)
Tequila you say ^^ hmmm now that might work LOL!

Joy (joyous reads) Crystal wrote: "Is there only one book left? I will cross my fingers for you that 1. the last book rocks and 2 that you get an early copy =)
Tequila you say ^^ hmmm now that might work LOL!"

Awesome! Good luck! :)

message 8: by Rogier (new)

Rogier i soo need to start this series

cant wait for your review