Jason Koivu's Reviews > The Wind in the Willows

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame

Feb 11, 14

bookshelves: fiction
Read from October 01 to 08, 2011

Lavishly described meandering adventures of the mild nature.

The Wind in the Willows has an intrinsically English flavor. The characters are happy to live their ordinary lives with only a hint of interest in the wider world. Too strong of an adventurous spiritedness is considered uncouth. Such hearty frivolity as Toad's is frowned upon to the utmost!

Unfortunately this goes for the author, too. Kenneth Grahame's plots are not terribly gripping due to their lack of depth. He seems pleased rather to spend the time describing a pleasant boating holiday down the river. If it wasn't for the scenes with the Wonderful Toad, the Fantastic Toad there would be very little excitement indeed.

However, it is the bond of friendship and the love of homely pleasures that entices us to read on. I gave it 3 stars, because I liked The Wind in the Willows. No more and no less, and let's keep it as nice and cozily close to uncontroversial as that, shall we?

description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wind in the Willows.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Whispers from the Pirate's Ghost Whisper This book helps understand why Tolkien made Hobbits like they are. It's a good read or maybe a better "read too" book for kids and takes me back to think about it. Thanks for the review Jason.

Jason Koivu Curmudgeon wrote: "This book helps understand why Tolkien made Hobbits like they are. It's a good read or maybe a better "read too" book for kids and takes me back to think about it. Thanks for the review Jason."

Shirley!

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways A sweet, comfy memory of a book. Quiet and soft and charming.

In 1964, anyway.

message 4: by J. (new) - rated it 4 stars

J. Keck I agree that the book is a "sweet, comfy memory of a book. Quiet and soft and charming."

message 5: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Peto Now you'll have to read Frog and Toad Are Friends

Jason Koivu Jonathan wrote: "Now you'll have to read Frog and Toad Are Friends"

I feel like I must have at some point.

message 7: by Shari (new)

Shari  Mulluane I loved the whole series as a kid. Read them over and over. I honestly think those and the Wizard of OZ books started my love of fantasy.

Jason Koivu Shari wrote: "I loved the whole series as a kid. Read them over and over. I honestly think those and the Wizard of OZ books started my love of fantasy."

That's not a bad place to start!