Jaclyn Cotton's Reviews > Tempest

Tempest by Julie Cross

Oct 19, 11

bookshelves: recently-finished, netgalley, reviewed-on-my-blog
Read from September 29 to October 02, 2011, read count: 1

This is the review that I wrote and published on my blog Jaclyn's Musings and you can find the direct link by clicking HERE

Tempest by Julie Cross
Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

Tempest is the debut novel of author Julie Cross. It is a story about discovering whether it’s possible for time travel to alter the course of life changing events. The main character is Jackson Meyer, a 19 year old whose world is turned upside down when he sees his girlfriend killed right before his eyes. At first I found it a little bit confusing as I tried to wrap my head around the ‘jumps’ in time that Jackson makes, especially since his age, 19 in 2009, doesn’t change no matter what year he goes back to. Luckily, once I was able to keep the current year straight I began to really ‘get into’ and enjoy the story.

While on a time jump, Jackson manages to find himself ‘stuck’ two years in the past and decides to try to insert himself into his girlfriend Holly’s life, long before they were dating and well in advance of that fateful day that ended her life. He discovers that back in 2007, two years in the past, Holly is a gymnastics instructor and that if he wants to get close to her he’ll have to take a less than desirable job.

I found that I could easily relate to this 2007 Holly, as I also have taught and participated in gymnastics. I really liked the descriptive language Julie Cross used to depict Holly doing gymnastics on the playground at a local park, and could easily picture this younger Holly, fearless when it came to climbing, balancing, and flipping on and off of the swing set.

One of the main plots of Tempest starts off as Jackson is trying to figure out how to change the events that led up to Holly being shot in 2009. Meanwhile, readers are taken on a journey through Jackson’s life as he is able to essentially “relive” events from his past as his current 19-year-old self. This allows him the ability to gain another perspective on his life, but often leaves him (and us as readers) with more questions than answers. Will Jackson be able to save present 2009 Holly? Throw into the mix a possible conspiracy theory, fellow time travelers, and questions about Jackson’s families past and you have a recipe for a very entertaining and thought provoking book! I can’t wait for book 2!

Tempest is scheduled to be released in the U.S. on January 17, 2012

~Jaclyn~
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tempest.

10/01/2011 page 128