Cynthia's Reviews > The Raj Quartet

The Raj Quartet by Paul Scott

May 17, 08

Read in May, 2008

A wonderful book. It's very old-fashioned in one sense, because it has a very languorous pace (but it's NOT dull) but it's also an English-class worthy example of contemporary fiction: lots of symbolism but also the whole story is seen as though you're in a hall of mirrors. The truth (it's the story of the gangrape of an Englishwoman that sets off riots in 1942 in India, as Gandhi and the Congress prepare to evict the English) and the narrative are fractured so you really have to kind of pay attention.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Raj Quartet.

message 1: by Gail (last edited May 08, 2008 06:43AM) (new)

Gail I finished the first volume after many fits and starts...finally put it down for about 2 years and then picked it up, started over, and loved it. I particularly liked your phrase "hall of mirrors"; that describes my feelings exactly. So then I put the second volume aside for a while, as I'm reading other things. I highly recommend "The Interpreter of Maladies" to you if you haven't read it. Wonderful book.

message 2: by Ruth (new)

Ruth I loved this too. And was it Masterpiece Theatre that did the TV adaptation. Excellent.

message 3: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica I added these to my To-Read. Thanks for reminding me that I am curious about these and all things Colonial India. Like Ruth, I recall the Masterpiece adaptations, but that was long ago.