Audrey's Reviews > Z: Zombie Stories

Z by J.M. Lassen

Oct 09, 11

bookshelves: 2011_publish, arc, zombie, young-adult
Read from October 02 to 09, 2011

Zombies have been hot for the last few years, and this anthology showcases some of the latest works featuring teens in zombie scenarios. Many of the stories tell tales of post-apocalyptic zombie-infested zones. That isn’t all there is though: there is a story about a living dead boy who is made that way through magic, the faithful servants of a dead king who rise again when called upon, and the psychological changes that undergo a person who is pretending to be a zombie. Usually horrifying, often funny, this anthology has a story that’s sure to please every zombie fan.

The only disappointment I had with this anthology is that so much of the stories were first published elsewhere. I’d already read the Jonathan Maberry and Kelly Link stories in other books, and so I skipped over them. This was a real bummer because I’m such a fan of their work and was looking forward to something new. My complaint shouldn’t turn off people who haven’t read these already, though, since they are very strong stories and do add a different dimension to the anthology.

That said, all but two of the stories here were new to me, and I read a lot of zombie fiction. If you’re curious, take a look at the table of contents, and I’d bet that most of the stories will be new to you. After I finished each story, I felt compelled to move on to the next, which meant that I finished this anthology fast. And I feel that much more prepared for when the zombie apocalypse does arrive.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Z.