Haleema 's Reviews > The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
4336293
The cover is creepy. First of all, I can't see their faces. I want to see their faces. Second, I just don't like the position of their bodies. It's very strange for some reason. The girl's left arm is out but not the right one. Why does that bother me. *looks at the cover some more* I don't know.

This is such a stupid book. I'm plagued with Mary Sues from all corners, Jace Wayland Noah Shaw is a complete jerk with an arrogance that makes me want to freaking eat kiwis. I hate kiwis, by the way! This guy just needs to be told how strikingly beautiful he is all the time. When he compliments Mara, he tells her to compliment him back! What the falafel?! He thinks he's incredible.

Noah:
description
I was that one dude who screwed all the chicks in my school, was a jerk about it, and now wants to screw you. You better like it, beotch. Oh, and I have very sexy unkempt hair. And I have a British accent. Everyone loves British accents.

Anyway, the writing looked like it needed to be told what's important to mention and what's not.

"There were two nurses standing behind me. I felt disoriented and weak. One had a welt on her cheek." Knowing that the nurse had a welt on her cheek really made my day. If you're going to mention that, at least build up on it by mentioning the nurse's other qualities. Randomly pointing that out makes me laugh.

Back to Noah. He's worse than Jace Wayland. Noah's the type of guy that thinks his poopoo smells better than any other guy's poopoo in the school. Well, you're wrong. Your poopoo smells just as bad as any other guy's poopoo, you arrogant slime!

Mara Dyer thinks she's so cool. Her sense of humor makes no sense to me! She lets Noah be a complete bully to her. I also hate heroines that always compare themselves to their mothers or their best friends. "Oh, while her hair is brown, thick, and wavy, mine is pasty blonde and simple. I'm nothing compared to her. Her features are so astonishing." Accept yourself and move on! Mara also does---

Wait.

Why am I complaining so much? I mean, I should be used to this, right? I should be used to heroines that don't do crap for their dignitity. I should be used to Jace-asses. However, I like to complain. I like to get my anger out and let it roll down the sidewalk. I like to moan and whine about these kinds of silly books. It's healthy!
26 likes · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer.
sign in »

Reading Progress

07/09/2012 "So Cassandra Clare thinks "the intrigue and romance will inescapably draw you in." In other words, it's going to be a bad book." 10 comments

Comments (showing 1-19 of 19) (19 new)

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Skyla Happy Go Lucky and Lost in Books You hate kiwis? How can you hate kiwis? The fruit is yummy, the bird is adorable and the people are awesome! Look at Kelly =)

I respect your right to hate kiwis but I still love them =)


message 2: by Haleema (last edited Aug 31, 2012 12:42PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Haleema I hate sour things in general. Kiwis are so sour! Especially the really ripe ones. They make my face go wild. My mom makes me eat them every day because "A kiwi a day keeps constipation at bay." I thought I would eventually find them okay, but I still hate them!

Hehe, thank you. =D


Skyla Happy Go Lucky and Lost in Books I think you are eating the wrong kiwis. I find them sweet. I only eat NZ grown kiwis though because everything else tastes weird.


Olivia that is one of the worst books i have read!


message 5: by Shaylee (new)

Shaylee Back to Noah. He's worse than Jace Wayland. Noah's the type of guy that thinks his poopoo smells better than any other guy's poopoo in the school. Well, you're wrong. Your poopoo smells just as bad as any other guy's poopoo, you arrogant slime!



This review made my day. XD

The cover bothers me, too. The girl's right leg... O_O


Haleema Skyla (Happy Go Lucky and Lost in Books) wrote: "I think you are eating the wrong kiwis. I find them sweet. I only eat NZ grown kiwis though because everything else tastes weird."

I don't know. Sometimes I actually like eating kiwis because they're more sweet than sour, but other times... *makes a face*


Haleema Shaylee wrote: "Back to Noah. He's worse than Jace Wayland. Noah's the type of guy that thinks his poopoo smells better than any other guy's poopoo in the school. Well, you're wrong. Your poopoo smells just as bad..."

Lol, I had to say it. He's really that arrogant! I'm glad I made your day, though. =D

I know! The way he's holding her is awkward as well. *mind blown*


message 8: by K. (new) - added it

K. I feel like I should read this...I'm getting a little too spoiled with good books lately. And don't stop complaining. We all enjoy the snark!


Mel (who is deeply in love with herself) Hey, HalHal.

Guess what?

My poopoo smells better than your poopoo. So there!

*flounces out*


Haleema K. wrote: "I feel like I should read this...I'm getting a little too spoiled with good books lately. And don't stop complaining. We all enjoy the snark!"

Read it! Snark it! Love it!


message 11: by Haleema (last edited Jul 11, 2012 07:53PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Haleema Mel (who is deeply in love with herself) wrote: "Hey, HalHal.

Guess what?

My poopoo smells better than your poopoo. So there!

*flounces out*"


Umm, are you sure about that? Mine smells like fresh magnolia blossoms with a whiff of sandalwood. It's the lightest, sweetest smell in the world. So good.

(view spoiler)


Fatima What is about this Noah that everyone goes so googly eyes over? He sounds like a turd.


Haleema He is! God, he's a complete jerk.

Wow. I reply now! Sorry about the delay!


Fatima Haleema wrote: "He is! God, he's a complete jerk.

Wow. I reply now! Sorry about the delay!"


Don't worry about it! And the poo poo comment, best thing ever.


message 15: by Valeria (new) - added it


Haleema Fatima wrote: "Haleema wrote: "He is! God, he's a complete jerk.

Wow. I reply now! Sorry about the delay!"

Don't worry about it! And the poo poo comment, best thing ever."


Hehe, why thank you, Fatima!


message 17: by Haleema (last edited Sep 01, 2012 01:10PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Haleema Valeria wrote: "

"


I just think they taste so sour! I'm not that fond of the color green as well. And the skin! The hairy, brown layering of it! Yuck!


message 18: by Valeria (new) - added it

Valeria Guess it's just not your type of fruit then :) I love sour stuff, kiwis included though the green colour isn't very attractive I agree.


message 19: by Maria (new)

Maria Rae You're right! The cover is creepy. It has a rape-vibe or something *shudder*
Mind you, by the way you described Noah Wayland, I'm not surprised.


back to top