Greg's Reviews > Underworld

Underworld by Don DeLillo

M 50x66
Oct 01, 11

bookshelves: literature-fiction, overwhelming-awesomeness

Reading so many of the negatives reviews here shocked me. To each his own, I guess. As for me, another reviewer put it perfectly:

"... this is one of the most important, most ingenious, most brilliant American novels written in the late 20th century - or ever. It's not for everyone."

I read this over a decade ago, and still recall the end, where I was, how completely floored and speechless I was. The writing is off the charts, and the story, ultimately, is more tightly bound than those who don't finish will ever know. It's not even difficult reading. I just don't get the distain some people have for this work. The only reason it took me so long to read it was that I was so in awe of almost every sentence and didn't want to rush it and waste it. Which is maybe the deal with this book. I wasn't "in love" with it. It's too vast and epic to "love." It's like trying to be "in love" with the ocean. You are at its mercy, it will take you only where it wants to take you. I was in AWE of it. You have to meet it on its terms, not your own.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Underworld.