Evan's Reviews > The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William L. Shirer
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich.

10/31/2011 page 25
10/31/2011 page 25
2.0% "This is a loooong book but it reads like lightning."
10/15/2013 marked as: to-read

message 1: by Evan (new) - added it

Evan It was an incredible oversight that I had previously failed to mark this one.

message 2: by Harold (new)

Harold Read it years ago. Don't really remember any details other than I thought it was a major work. Far enough back to merit a revisit.

message 3: by Evan (new) - added it

Evan I should have a copy in my collection by tomorrow. I knew I had a copy of Inside the Third Reich by Albert Speer, and also Berlin Diary by Mr. Shirer himself, but somehow this one was not on my list even though I thought it was. I probably should read something other than yet another massive WWII book but I'd like to do this one soon.

message 4: by Harold (last edited Oct 01, 2011 10:04PM) (new)

Harold I still have a copy - also the Speer book, which I thought was terrific. WWII is an interesting subject. More than anything I can think of it's led to the world we now live in. That may just be my perception. I really don't know all that much of what led up to WWI.

message 5: by Evan (new) - added it

Evan You're right on all counts, Harold, and that's why I find it an endlessly facinating subject for reading. the Liddell-Hart history of the war that I recently finished did a good job of talking about the causes of the war, and even cut Hitler some slack, rather counter-intuitively--showing a lot of the Allied bungling in negotiations and policies, and not just because of appeasement, which usually gets all the blame. But there's a $1 paperback sitting on hold for me at Half Price Books that I need to retrieve today. At this point I'd rather have the paperback than a giant hardcover because it's becoming a matter of shelf space for me now.

message 6: by Evan (new) - added it

Evan My dear, E, perhaps you are right, but I think there are also issues of social belonging and exclusion that factor into the psychology of my dreams, and also rebellion. It might also have elements of that soccer thug book I just read, as there is a scene in it where the writer has to try to fit in at a Nazi dance club.

For those who have no context, I dreamed a friend and I were invited to check out some "club" and it turned out to be some neo-Nazi group. Me and my friend stood there and listened to the leader prattle on in some racist manner and then some guy we both knew--someone we thought was cool and never suspected of being a Nazi--walked into the room, and we were shocked ("OMG, he's one of THEM!") At this point I turned to the leader and told him that my friend and me were not fascists or skinheads or Nazis and didn't intend to become any of these things, that we appreciated the hospitality, that we wouldn't tell anyone what we'd seen and heard and we would just go ahead and leave now. The leader and the goon next to him became belligerent at that and the leader shouted, "Why did you come here then?" to which I replied, "We were invited," to which the "nice guy" agreed, "Yes, you invited them here," to which the leader kind of grunted a reluctant admission. That's when I woke up.

message 7: by Evan (new) - added it

Evan At a whopping 1,600 pages, I think I can safely call this the longest single book in my collection. (I'm not counting my complete 7-volume set of Gibbon's Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire).

Dipanjan Two years ago i finished this book in one and half months.