Peggy's Reviews > Following Ezra: What One Father Learned about Gumby, Otters, Autism, and Love from His Extraordinary Son

Following Ezra by Tom Fields-Meyer

Oct 08, 11

Read from October 01 to 08, 2011

What a wonderful book. Highly recommended. I have read several books on autism, but this was by far the most poignant. I knew the author when I was in high school, although not well. This revealed a side to him that I did not expect and was pleasantly surprised by the caring, loving nature of his relationship with his son.

Who should read this? Well, quite frankly, I'd put it any parent's reading list, not just parents of children with autism. I think we could all learn a lot from Tom in how he and his wife coped with their son Ezra, and instead of focusing on the negative, instead focused on the positive aspects. Certainly, parents of children with autism, especially those just recently diagnosed, should read this.

Granted, autism is a spectrum disorder. I could see some saying that there's no possible comparison between Ezra and their child. Some children have difficulties with eating, pica, sensory issues, as well as the more common communication, educational and socialization challenges. Ezra does seem like he's higher functioning than some children that I read about, but still, that doesn't take away from the message of this book, of love and acceptance, and of learning to celebrate the qualities of your child that make him/her special, rather than different.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Following Ezra.