☯Bettie☯'s Reviews > Mary Poppins in the Kitchen: A Cookery Book with a Story

Read in October, 2011

Celebrity Death Match Review

'Mary'

'Yes, Mary?'

'Whilst you were out helping the sweeps, a note was passed under the door; the contents of which are quite remarkable.'

'Who is it from, Mary dear?'

'Mrs *spit* Beeton'

'Let me have a look'...

Dear Ms Poppins

Knowing that you are an avid reader, I am sure you have already noticed that I have been called upon to look after a recently orphaned little Walter de la Mare character:

Page 52 of 'Memoirs of a Midget': For the charge of thirty shillings a week Mrs B has consented to give board lodging and reasonable attendance. In all the circumstances this seems to me to be a moderate sum. Mr Pellow [old clergyman] assures me that Mrs B is clean, honest and a practicing Christian.

The above, coupled with celebrity status in my newest reincarnation, means that I really cannot put hand on heart and say that I am up for any more of these lexiconical ninja fights with the likes of you. The thought of grappling with a short furry bear thing in the next round is beyond credibility, so I withdraw unsullied from this base whirligig.

Yours sincerely
Isabella Beeton

PS Hope you didn't catch a cold after your dip in the canal.

'Well upon my soul and her sole supper! Game set and match to us; cup of celebratory tea, Mary?

'Indeed, I'll have a little sugar in that.'

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mary Poppins in the Kitchen.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Manny (new)

Manny Breaking new ground here, I see! A second review on the opposite side... but clearly I can't vote for it :)

☯Bettie☯ Like any legal eagle, it's good to see both sides of an issue and I have the distinct feeling that a few of your voters here are more than a little sick of Mrs B, so it is good to give them the option.

message 3: by ·Karen· (new)

·Karen· I'm beginning to lose track here. I like this, but I'm no longer sure who I'd be voting for. Sorry. My attention strayed a little there.