Jan Livingston's Reviews > A Yellow Raft in Blue Water

A Yellow Raft in Blue Water by Michael Dorris

Jun 06, 08

Read in June, 2008

This book has characters that touch your heart and stay with you. I finished this several days ago and still and putting together new ideas and interpretations over the story.
It really highlights the frailty of humanity as well as the deep, abiding damage that can come from secrets; even well intentioned secrets.
the characters live in a world if missed communications which have disastrous long term consequences. the end of the story has a bright, shining candle of hope but it is not certain and can be easily snuffed out.
Lessons for us all to learn here...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Yellow Raft in Blue Water.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Helen After reading your comment, I have to say -- yeah, that's exactly how I feel -- I just couldn't articulate it!
I missed you at book group last night!

Christine Although I agree with your review Jan, I still think that Christine is crazy and Ida is delusional if she truly believes that her actions (or lack thereof) as a mother could've in any way been interpreted as coming from a place of deep love. I mean she literally yelled at Christine, "I never wanted you!" The men (and Clara) in this novel are all abhorrent.

message 3: by Ned (new) - added it

Ned Hayes Yes, life can be snuffed out easily. Your review makes me think of the end of Dorris's too-short life... here's something I published about his death... http://nedhayes.com/writing