Dominic's Reviews > Rad Dad: Dispatches from the Frontiers of Fatherhood

Rad Dad by Tomas Moniz

Jan 02, 12

bookshelves: feminism, parenting
Read from October 01 to November 05, 2011

Reading this book made me realize that raising my daughter or son is going to be the ultimate test of my feminism, that fatherhood can be (and is) a political act. While I know I can't control who my children will grow up to be (nor how "just" the world can be), I can show them how important it is that they fight for a better world and a better self.

As a man and a feminist, I've come to understand my role in making that better world--and that it is found in my day-to-day interactions with young people--whether they are my students, neighborhood children, my niece, or my future kids. Since our culture is in dire need of new myths of gender that will counteract the ones that tell little girls they need to "look pretty" to be good or that tell little boys that being aggressive is just "being a man," Rad Dad and the similar books that will soon follow are essential. Books like this one redesign who a father is and dispels the notion that fathers should be hands-off breadwinners or diaper-fumbling dopes.

This book is equally about dispelling what feminism is, at a time when so many young adults continue to view feminism as some undesirable extreme. But no, being a feminist (and a man, and a father) is about believing in the possibilities of a more equitable, more just, more free world. I think I have found a new community to join. Viva la Rad Dad!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rad Dad.

10/15/2011 page 102
10/29/2011 page 158
79.0% "I'm realizing that raising my daughter or son is going to be the ultimate test of my feminism. Bring it on!"