Allison's Reviews > Blood Wounds

Oct 03, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult
Read from October 01 to 03, 2011

Reading this book was a weird experience. I'd be lying if I said I didn't like it, but it has some issues. On the plus side, it has a unique story line and I think it would work for certain reluctant readers. Willa, a high school junior from a blended family, finds out in the third chapter of the book that her biological father has gone on a murdering spree wiping out a bunch of blood family members she didn't even know she had. On the negative side, pretty much all of the family members including sisters and parents, friends, and even distant relatives suck! What is wrong with these people? It was hard to believe that Willa could be so well grounded when there really did not even seem to be one reliably loving person for her to turn to. Also, there are so many characters, I'm concerned it might be hard for some readers to keep track of them all. The book may try to do a little too much - not only is Willa dealing with finding out about a bunch of (now dead) family members she didn't even know she had, but also a bunch of murders committed by her own DAD, in addition to standard (and some less standard) family issues involving the blending of the family, but also, she cuts! Why is this in here? Really, it did not need to be. It's not thoroughly addressed and just seems like some weird add-on in which the author was like "Oh, the father stabs people, I will tie that into the protagonist cutting! How clever - "blood" relatives making people bleed!" But, even after all of these complaints, I'd recommend it. If nothing else, it's an interesting ride.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Wounds.

10/02/2011 page 165