Mindy's Reviews > Clever Maids: The Secret History of the Grimm Fairy Tales

Clever Maids by Valerie Paradiz

Dec 17, 09

bookshelves: non-fiction, fairytale-mythology
Read in December, 2009

I have always loved Grimm fairy tales. Well, all folklore actually. I've never really given much thought about the men who brought them out from the corners of households across Europe. In my ignorance, I often assumed the Brothers Grimm penned many of the stories themselves.

Paradiz gives an excellent description of the Grimms lives and the many, many women who aided them in their folktale tellings. Jacob and Wilhelm are described in such fantastic detail - often through their own words - I wish I could have known them. Her descriptions of the brother's deep love of stories is infectious, igniting my own passion for folk and fairy tales.

Now I want to go back and read ALL the Grimm stories again, through this amazing perspective of the women who influenced and brought the Brothers their time-tested tone.

I would recommend this book to anyone who loves folktales, or enjoy a personal account of the first part of the 19th century. Paradiz does an excellent job of keeping major historic events in perspective during her telling of the lives and influences of The Brothers Grimm.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clever Maids.