Carmel (Rabid Reads)'s Reviews > Spider's Bite

Sep 28, 12

bookshelves: audio, favourites
Read from September 06 to 12, 2012

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Jennifer Estep's Elemental Assassin series has been on my to-be-read list for what seems like forever. I FINALLY put my foot down and decided that enough is enough; the time for procrastination is over! It's time to see what all of the fuss is about. And I must say, it was love at first read. I instantly connected with Lauren Fortgang as the narrator and I absolutely LOVED Gin Blanco! This book has a lot going for it in that it's not your typical Urban Fantasy tale. The heroine isn't your run of the mill vampire slayer but an actual assassin for hire. She doesn't make distinctions between preternatural breeds; Gin is an equal opportunity killer, for the right price, of course. This was my first encounter with "elemental" magic and I really enjoyed the change of pace. Spider's Bite is a non-stop adrenaline rush with plenty of deep fried, macabre humour to keep you smiling.

I haven't enjoyed discovering an author's universe this much in a long, long time. I loved navigating Estep's world and uncovering its secrets. The focus of this series is obviously on the elementals but readers also get to meet tons of other paranormals along the way. It was interesting to see how the various supes interact with each other and with the regular human population. Jennifer does a good job of explaining the various types of elementals as well as their strengths and weaknesses. It was unfortunate that Estep didn't explore their origins a bit more. I would have liked to know where their powers originate from; are they hereditary? Why was Gin born a stone elemental instead of taking after her mother? Here's hoping that a few of these questions get answered in future installments!

I got a real kick out of Blanco; she has the assassin persona down pat. I loved her cockiness, confidence and snark. Gin knows that she's one of the best hired guns around and has the track record to back it up. She's not full of herself though, meaning she doesn't take unnecessary risks and she knows her limits. Her killing face is s-c-a-r-y! It's insane how quickly and easily she can switch from friendly to stone cold assassin. Blanco's also a seasoned pro at blending in; I really enjoyed watching her adopt different identities while working jobs. She's incredibly versatile. Her Southern charm cracks me up every time! Gin might be the Spider but that doesn't mean that she doesn't have weaknesses just like everyone else. Her past is beyond sad and I'm happy that Estep allowed readers to see that there's more to her than just a killer.

There's not a lot of romance in this book but I didn't expect there to be. Donovan Caine is an intriguing character and it'll be interesting to see whether his attraction to Gin evolves beyond the physical. JoJo and Sophia are too cute for words! The latter barely speaks other than the occasional grunt but who would have thought that such an insignificant sound effect could carry so much weight? I'm not exactly sure what to make of Finnegan Lane yet. He's sexy, no question about it but I have a hard time seeing him play a significant role in this series. I guess I'll just have to let Estep continue to work her magic and see where it leads!

Spider's Bite is well-written, addictive and original. If you're looking for quality Urban Fantasy, then look no further, book one of Jennifer Estep's Elemental Assassin series more than delivers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spider's Bite.

Quotes Carmel (Rabid Reads) Liked

Jennifer Estep
“Emotions were for those too weak to turn them off.”

Jennifer Estep
“Luck hadn't smiled on me tonight. Capricious bitch.”

“You're late."

"Sorry. I was busy talking about my feelings and killing people.”

Jennifer Estep
“You can work with me—or you can wade through the blood and bodies after I'm done.”

Jennifer Estep
“The two men stared at each other. Assumptions were made, judgments rendered, dicks measured.”

Jennifer Estep
“I'd come to terms with what I did long ago. The bodies, the blood, the tears of those left behind. Even the fact I was probably going to burn in hell didn't bother me. Much.”

09/06/2012
09/10/2012
42.0% "Two thumbs up so far!"
09/11/2012
92.0% "I'm so happy that I started this series; this book rocks!"
show 1 hidden update…

Jennifer (a.k.a The Book Nympho) I'm starting this one after Fair Game.

Lucia  The Loyal Book oh, I loved this one!

Carmel (Rabid Reads) I'm starting the next one right away!

Ӄaȶ  McCarthy ~ Aeternum Designs i was hooked by the very first line. great series!

Carmel (Rabid Reads) Now I can understand why!

Cheryl Landmark I've read the second one and it's just as good, if not better, than this one. Love that Gin! Which, considering she's an assassin, makes me kind of wonder how weird I am. :D