Anna (Bobs Her Hair)'s Reviews > Master of the Abyss

Master of the Abyss by Cherise Sinclair

Oct 01, 2011

bookshelves: ebook, erotic, contemporary-romance, romantic-suspense, nook
Recommended for: Erotic romance fans
Read from September 29 to 30, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

This is the second book in a series. (I opted to skip the first.) I was pleasantly surprised with Cherise Sinclair's storytelling. She creates likeable characters and tells their romance quite well.

The Story
Kallie, a wilderness guide, has become a tomboy and looks "butch" due to past experiences with family. She has secretly had a crush on Jake for two years. Jake co-owns a mountain lodge with his brother Logan. (Logan was the hero in book 1.) He has sworn off relationships after his last relationship ended trajically. Jake's rule is "one night only." He finally notices Kallie and his inner Dom recognizes the submissive in her. He tells her the one night only rule and she accepts but they have a hard to keeping it to one night. Jake and Kallie both try to protect their hearts but discover they have an emotional and physical connection. So begins their journey. Then, there's an ominous presence in the background.

The BDSM
I never know what to expect when a book states it has BDSM. In Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James there's the kink in the private setting along with vanilla sex. In J.R. Ward's character Vishous' sexual exploits are pretty much blown off and a little bit of bondage takes place. In Masters of the Abyss the BDSM involves public exhibitionism. It's not in the privacy of the bedroom. Other couples are active in their "play" and watch. I became a little detached from the love scenes but I was still able to enjoy Jake and Kallie's romance. Jake's mountain also host BDSM parties and offers instruction wilderness tours for couples incorporating BDSM into their partnerships. The tours offer some insight into the psychology involved.

Overall, I enjoyed the book. I would have been satisfied with a mere happy ending without the clean wrap-up. I will read Ms. Sinclair's work again if there's a book without the exhibitionism.

Grade: B+

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Master of the Abyss.