♥Rachel♥'s Reviews > Amy and Roger's Epic Detour

Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson

Nov 18, 11

bookshelves: books-i-own, road-trip
Read from November 08 to 09, 2011 — I own a copy

This book is about finding the best thing when you least expect it. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I mean, who doesn’t want to go on a road trip? More than ever, and especially after reading this book, I want to go on a road trip!

Amy Curry has to get her Mom’s car to Connecticut from California. Her Mom sold the family house and has already moved there. Amy stayed to finish out her school year but that’s over and it’s time to move. Trouble is Amy can’t drive since she was in a car accident with her father three months ago. Her father didn’t make it. So Amy’s mother arranges for the son of a family friend, Roger, to drive her. Her mother even plans out the itinerary, hotel reservations and all. Amy does not like this plan at all, the thought of being cooped up in a car with a stranger for five days does not appeal to her. She has become a pro at escaping people and human interaction since her father’s death, but it’s a little hard to get away from someone when you’re riding for hours in the car with them. Enter Roger, college student of Colorado College on summer break, who much to Amy’s surprise is really cute. He has his own reasons for agreeing to this road trip. I have to say I was a little annoyed when I found out what Roger’s reason was (view spoiler) but once I started reading more, that went away.

This road trip turned out to be the best thing for Amy and Roger. After the accident, Amy basically closed herself off from everyone. You see her gradually unthawing and coming to grips with what has happened in her life. You see her letting people and emotions back in, especially with Roger. Roger in spite of his goal in coming on this trip is a breath of fresh air. He’s always smiling and relaxed. As their trip progresses Roger starts to see that his initial reason for going is less and less important. Roger and Amy unexpectedly find feelings for each other creeping up on them. One of my favorite quotes:

Roger: “I mean, I should have known,” he said, leaning back a little and smiling at me. “It always happens this way.” Amy: “What does?” Roger: “The best discoveries always happened to the people who weren't looking for them. Columbus and America. Pinzón who stumbled on Brazil while looking for the West Indies. Stanley happening on Victoria Falls. And you. Amy Curry when I was least expecting her." I smiled back at him while feeling sharply just how much I was going to miss him. It was almost a physical pain. "I'm on that list?" "You're at the top of that list." He leaned over and kissed me and I kissed back.”

I loved that Morgan Matson put the details of the trip in sort of a scrap-book that we all get to see throughout the book. This gave us trivia for each state and receipts for every fast food, greasy diner and cheap motel they stayed at, which made you feel like you were taking this trip right along with them. This book was just such a feel good book. What can I say? You got to love a road trip! This is one I’ll be reading again. A definite recommend!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Amy and Roger's Epic Detour.

11/08/2011 page 73
21.0% "Why does there have to be a Hadley?!"

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Emily Yay! I gave this one 5, too. It was so much fun :)

♥Rachel♥ Yes! I'm on a road trip roll with books with Saving June and now this. I loved both! Now I just need to write the reviews. :)

Wendy Darling Sounds pretty cute! :) A lot of my other friends have loved this one, too. (Hi Emily!)

♥Rachel♥ It was super cute Wendy. :)