Sally's Reviews > I am David

I am David by Anne Holm

Oct 08, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: childrens, italy, switzerland, runaways, concentration-camp
Read from October 07 to 08, 2011 , read count: 1

Well, this was a very good read, despite starting a bit slowly. There was very little dialogue and as such it moved at quite a 'quiet' pace - quite easy and comfortable if not terribly exciting. The one thing I didn't like though was how vague it was. I mean, David's escaped from a concentration camp and refers to the bad guys as them (and they're not giant ants!)... so it's only natural to assume that they are Nazis, right? Then about halfway through the book he meets an Englishman and asks if England has a king, only to be told that it has a queen instead. So suddenly it can't be a Nazi concentration camp he's run away from, which at least explains how it's not going to be impossible for him to travel through Germany... but still, argh. I guessed then it was probably a Russian camp... but it would have been nice to have a bit more clarity, you know?

It also all seemed a bit too easy for him to get all the way from Italy to Denmark but then it is a children's book... (view spoiler) I did enjoy the trek through Europe though, even if it was quite unevenly done - we were told SO much of his time in Italy, a fair bit in Switzerland, and then he travelled the entire length of Germany in like five pages!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I am David.

10/08/2011 page 55
10/08/2011 page 126
68.0% "WHEN THE HELL IS THIS SET OMG"