Sally's Reviews > Beautiful Creatures

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia

Oct 01, 2011

bookshelves: paranormal-wtfckery, witches, small-town, deep-south, ya, wolf-pack-bookclub, own-highbury
Read in February, 2012 , read count: 1

Wow, this was actually really good! I was close on giving it five stars before it started to get just a little bit too paranormal for my liking - but for the most part it was seriously awesome, and refreshingly different from what I'd been expecting.

I guess the male narrator made a huge difference. I liked Ethan a lot and his voice was very engaging. I really get tired of female narrators who meet The Guy and then just go all stupid and mushy and everything over him every time he walks into a room. Being a boy, Ethan wasn't like that about Lena, luckily! There was a kind of a Stargirl-esque feel to this as for a long time we only really saw Lena from a distance.

I was a little daunted by the size of this at first - another I grabbed at the book swap - but it's actually really fast paced and absolutely flew by. I was reminded a little of the Wicca series by Cate Tiernan at times, so if you like that sort of thing then you'll probably like this.

The name Marian for the librarian made me giggle :P I really hope that was on purpose! Also I loved how Macon was always likened to Cary Grant. Great visuals there, and he was neat :D Ridley was quite awesome too, if pure evil.

Lena's "I get angry or scared and then... things just happen!" also made me think of Wicked ;) And I laughed out loud at Marian's "Teenagers - everything is so apocalyptic" - that was so brilliantly tongue-in-cheek and one of my favourite lines ever. Because Lena's all stressing over whether or not she's gonna go Dark or Light and it was just hilarious how Marian palmed it off like she was worrying over a pimple :P

The small town feel of Gatlin was awesome, and really evoked the witch-trials sort of feeling, especially what with the town meeting on whether or not to expel Lena. And I enjoyed how very southern it all was too. Loads of Civil War ("War of Northern Aggression") mentions and threads. Lots of long family histories there, as no one ever leaves. Great atmosphere. Not champing at the bit to read on in the series, but I definitely will one day!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Creatures.