Sammy's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

May 01, 08

bookshelves: a-the-best
Read in July, 2007

** spoiler alert ** Was this book so awesome because it finally addressed all those long unanswered questions?  Yes.  Was this book just fantastic because we finally know what happens to everyone?  Yes.  Was this book wonderful because Rowling was ruthless and took no prisoners?  Yes.  Was this book splendid because we knew all the characters and cared about them like they were real?  Yes.  Was this book so great because it made you laugh, cry, gasp, emote out loud?  Yes.  That was one of my favorite things about the book.  Regardless of where I was, whether it be sitting on the couch next to my roommate, alone in my room, or standing in my shop, I found myself cheering and gasping and all other sorts of reactions, I was just that into the story.The most emotional part for me, one of them at least, was when Dobby died.  I don't know what it was about that, but I was sobbing and had tears streaming down my face.  When they describe putting the socks on his feet, that was the part that opened the floodgates.  I am one of those people that supports the theory that socks are a very imporant symbol in the Harry Potter series.  I even did a report in one of my high school English classes on it.  "Ron sat on the edge of the grave and stripped off his shoes and socks, which he placed upon the elf's bare feet.  Dean produced a woolen hat, which Harry placed carefully upon Dobby's head, muffling his batlike ears."  Rowling, master of subtle detail, still includes that brief mention of socks.  It was that which really did me in.Another thing that impressed me was how well the story flowed.  Probably a combination of being a good writer and knowing, without a doubt, where the story was going and what she wanted to have happen allowed Rowling to keep the story smooth and not jerky.  So easily, especially in the beginning/middle chapters in Harry, Ron, and Hermione's search for Horcruxes things could have become so choppy.  And while time did pass quickly in brief sections it still flowed.  A lot of writers, even good writers, can't seem to make something like that work, yet Rowling did, proving herself yet again.I was also really impressed by her ballsy moves of killing off several main characters, especially right in the beginning.  I thought it was going to be in the big final battle ('cause c'mon, you knew it was coming) that we lost all our favorites, not within the first few chapters.  RIP Hedwig and Mad-Eye.  That was one major way you got sucked in because you're thinking, "Oh my God!  Characters I love are already dying!  What the-" and then you keep going because you need to know if anyone else is going to kick it.  For some reason though Rowling just loves killing off my favorite characters, Dumbledore, Moody, Fred (and George too in a way), Lupin, Tonks.  I was especially angry over the Lupin/Tonks death.  It felt like a sort of snub because, yay they're married!  Yay, they're having a baby!  Yay, he's a little metamorphmagus.  Boo, both parents are suddenly dead.  Rude.  But I guess it made the whole thing hurt a lot more, and it did.Honestly, I felt Rowling tied things up beautifully and not in that harried, "Oh yeah about that?  Um... this happens!  Yeah, that's it!"  I think many fans feel vindicated (i.e. the Snape/Lily shippers, those who thought Harry was a Horcrux, don't mess with Mrs. Weasley) after reading this book.  Of course there are probably some who are broken down and upset that what they thought was going to happen didn't.  In the end we all got one hell of a story and went on one fantastic adventure.  No matter what happened, no matter who died or who ended up with who this book was more than I could have hoped for, I was not disappointed at all.All I can say now is: Jo, thank you.
88 likes · Likeflag

Naomi good review, thanks Sammy.
I was thinking about Tonk's and Lupin's death too. It creates a link back to Harry's childhood as well - the effects of war and all the decimation that was wrought on James and Lily, Sirius and the Longbottoms 16 years previous. Perhaps Rowlings way of saying that such events leave an indelible trace on individuals and change a society, no matter if the society wins the war or not.

The most pitiful and perhaps heroic character in this book is Snape for his complete isolation and yet dedicated determination to ensure Harry's victory despite his antipathy towards Harry as James' son.

Dumbledore was humanised in this book too - not perhaps the saint people liked to think him, but accessible and his actions become understandable.

I liked the theme of death, a desire to conquer it and the weakness evinced by Tom Riddle in his fear of death and those around him. I also loved that in the moment before he died, Voldemort once again became Tom Riddle, human and vincible. I loved that all Voldemort's arrogant beliefs that he was so intelligent and inscrutable were shown to be flawed (i.e. the place in Hogwarts that he believed only he had penetrated - the room of requirement - had been a non-secret for many of the DA and even Professor Trelawney for many years so to who knows who else). A deluded and pitiful character in the end with immense ability for underestimating his opponent - Dumbledore was right about him!

All in all, a satisfying conclusion to the journey that has been Harry Potter. I do admit, though, to feeling completely cheated by the epilogue. Perhaps it would have been better to leave it to other people's imaginations as to what happened than put it so baldly in writing.

Michael Excellent review.

I completely agree about Dobby. He was amazing that one chapter he appeared in, but when that dagger stuck him...

Monica love the review. although, perhaps you should post SPOILER ALERT in the beginning for those who haven't read it yet :) i loved the book but i felt kinda underwhelmed with the epilogue. i agree that she could have nixed it and just let the reader use their imagination as to what happened to everyone. and i kindof wanted to see harry end up with luna. is that weird? i'm not sure why but i felt like rowling gave little hints that there would be something more developing between harry and her. oh well. but like i said - loved it. i'm going to miss harry and ron and hermione and hogwarts and well...everything about the book!

Candice I love your review! I cried when Dobby died too. But I think the chapter where he brought this parents, Sirius, and Lupin back was the chapter I totally lost it. It took me like twice as long to read it just because I couldn't stop crying. What a great end to a great series.

Lauren I enjoyed the epilogue because it shows that life goes on... that the Houses and their rivalries at Hogwarts continued ... that Teddy was taken care of. I wished that I knew if Harry became an auror or something else. I loved that Neville became a professor. I just read the His Dark Materials series, which does not have an epilogue, and I have to say I'm glad that Rowling wrote one. It's like dessert-- to leave you feeling satisfied.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

You said it perfectly. I too got very emotional when Dobby died...Hedwig too.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you so much for this nice review. I agree with everything you say. I just finished the book 30 minutes ago and am feeling happy and sad at the same time. What a series!

Albert Candice wrote: "I love your review! I cried when Dobby died too. But I think the chapter where he brought this parents, Sirius, and Lupin back was the chapter I totally lost it. It took me like twice as long to re..."

I did the same thing in that particular scene. I cried hard while imagining harry's parents, Sirius and Lupin backing up Harry.

Ethan The Talkative One :D What about Colin Creevy, he died. I mean I didn't expect that he would die at all.

Janelle Honestly, I think I felt the saddest when Fred died. Maybe it was the fact that when Harry walked into the Great Hall and so many of the people he loved had fallen...George and Fred never gave up on Harry and literally fought to the death. It was all so sad really. Great review by the way!

message 11: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel I agree with Janelle intirely.

Brooklyn Johnson You are awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 13: by Jackson (new)

Jackson Paris =D

Shawna Scott This was one of the best Harry Potter novelization for me, hands down. No wait, it was the best Harry Potter novelization to me and here's why (don't read if you haven't read the book as there are spoilers here):

10. I would finally get to see how everything would end for every character.

9. Harry, Ron, and Hermione were finally heading out on a very dangerous but important mission to put an end to Lord Voldemort's evil.

8. We learn that as brilliant a wizard as Dumbledore was, he still made a few poor decisions particularly in his much earlier life, proving that Dumbledore too was as prone to making such human mistakes as the next wizard. I love him all the more as a character for not being totally perfect after all.

7. The way Mrs.Weasley got rid of Bellatrix once and for all at the Battle of Hogwarts pretty much for me is : go Mrs.Weasley! To sum my feelings up.

6. Professor McGonagall was awesome in this final installment.

5. The part where all the suits of armour were magically brought to life to fight by McGonagall (this happened in the second part of the movie anyway) and her saying, "I always wanted to use that spell!"

4. The way Neville Longbottom killed the snake Nagini with the sword of Gryffindor.

3. Realizing that Professor Snape had some good in him after all and oh my God, that vial of his last memories revealing how much he didn't hate Harry's mother but loved her and lost so much himself, especially when she was murdered had brought a few tears out.

2. The way Harry was willing to die to stop any further suffering of those who remained that he loved, getting hit with a killing curse, and still not really dying and returning to destroy Voldemort (finally) thus saving both the wizard and muggle worlds.

And the number 1 reason the Deathly Hallows was the best in my opinion?

Harry Potter, the Boy who Lived, the Chosen One, a hero among wizards, finally got his happy ending.

message 15: by Motorpasion (new)

Motorpasion fck you
you told me dobby died!
you did not gave us an advice that you will talk about what happened in the book.