Tory's Reviews > The End of Faith: Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason

The End of Faith by Sam Harris

Dec 29, 11

Read from December 09 to 19, 2011

After reading the first chapter of this book, my initial reaction was, "Who peed in this guy's cornflakes?" because the author introduced his subject matter with such intensity and anger.Then I read that Harris began writing this book on September 12, 2001. Ah, got it now. I liked the book for its plain language and directness regarding religion and its impact on our world. It was a very refreshing read in light of today's political correctness, which often leaves us all saying nothing about important things. Harris raises good questions and makes good points, however I don't feel his points are original. Yes, religion has been the motivation for some horrific crimes against humanity. Yes, much of the world's conflict today could be attributed to religious motivation (an idea first introduced by Huntington in his book, "Clash of Civilizations"). However, Harris misrepresented the bible at several points in his argument, which makes me think he is just as guilty as anyone else for manipulating religious texts to serve his own purpose.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of Faith.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Wesley Geyer Could you explain briefly how he misrepresented the bible? I might have missed those parts while I was reading.

Also, the fact that you say his ideas aren't original shouldn't take anything away from the book or his other writing, since he puts emphasis on how it (this book) is just a commentary on how we as a race are both moving away from and condemning religion as a whole.

Lastly, his use of the bible to make his own point stronger is exactly what he wants to make light of. The fact that these religious texts exist is one of the most dangerous scapegoats that could possibly be allowed to make its way into society and hide behind the veil of being 'subject to interpretation'.