Jackie's Reviews > Shades of Grey

Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde

Oct 01, 2011

Read in September, 2011

How do I know a book was really good? When I start missing it as soon as its over. And want to reread it immediately. And get a little blast of hope that there are more in the series. And a big dose of disappointment when I find out they haven't been released. And I go to the book's webpage and click all the links and read all the trivia and all the book reviews. If you want to know what this book is about there are better descriptions and reviews than mine. I confess I heard about this book on some radio program and, while it sounded intriguing, it was mostly the fact that the author's first name is the same as my son's that piqued my interest. Still I didn't go and get it because I'm lazy that way. But when Kindle started with the library lending it turned out this was in my CyberShelf so I downloaded it and read it. It took me awhile to get into, but once hooked, I was mightily tempted to sneak a read at work. Yeah, it was that kind of book. Sort of a cross between 1984, Big Brother and, mostly, the movie Brazil. I love that movie. Nice premise for this book, surprises, disappointments, rules. Very British. Read this book, you may well like it. Tried to describe it to my family. I think it confused them. This is a good thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shades of Grey.