Holly Renee's Reviews > Rose's Pledge

Rose's Pledge by Sally Laity

Jan 10, 12

Read in December, 2011

Rose Hardwood once lived a life of privilege and dignity. Now, she and her family are in deep trouble. In order to save her family from disgrace, Rose sells herself into indentured servitude. Far from her home in England, she finds herself in the American frontier. When she is sold to a fur trapper who lives in the deepest frontier of America, she finds herself farther from home than she expected and in the heart of Indian Territory. Nate Kinyon has made a living of trapping in Indian Territory for quite some time. When he meets Rose Harwood, he is astonished to discover her owner would bring her into such dangerous territory. He's determined to rescue her from her stubborn and heartless owner who doesn't seem to mind endangering her for his own gain. But just how much is Nate willing to pay to rescue her?

Rose's Pledge is a unique story that covers various topics in history, such as indentured servitude, the fur trapper trade in the early American frontier, the French and Indian war, and of course, the early perception of Native Americans.

With that said, this time period and the topics are not popular settings found in the Christian fiction market today. While colonial settings are starting to rise, readers don't know too much about the topics this story broaches. As a result, there is a lot of new information to take in.

I definitely found this book interesting, but due to the newness and vast topics it covered, this story seemed to have a lot historical detail that at times made me want to skip over the lengthy paragraphs detailing the various tribes and the conflict over the French and Indian War. While the information was essential to know for the purpose of plot advancement, it seemed to be presented as an information dump inside of dialogue or inner monologue. For whatever reason, I didn't find these parts of the story as interesting.

This story is a definite page-turner, and the the authors are skillful at keeping the reader in suspense as we wonder what is going to happen next.

While the cover gives readers the impression that this story is a full-fledged historical romance, I think it would fall more along the lines of a historical. Though the hero and heroine interact with one another early in the story, the sparks don't start to fly until halfway through the novel--and that's about as much as I can mention on that without spoiling the story.

As a historical, Rose's Pledge is definitely an interesting and engaging read. For those who enjoy colonial stories, or anyone interested in the fur trapping that took place during the colonial era, this is a story you will not want to miss.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Barbour Publishing, via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rose's Pledge.

12/22/2011 page 290

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie I wanna read this! :-) Glad you liked it

Holly Renee Yes, it's pretty good. It's has more history than romance in it, but it's still very enjoyable.

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie Cool! I enjoy a lotta history, as long as its woven into the story well and not a history book. ;-)