Lucy Furr's Reviews > Brave New World

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

Oct 02, 11

bookshelves: dystopia, classics
Read from September 30 to October 02, 2011

Ugh. Sometimes I get feelings about books, bad feelings that keep from reading it no matter how many times I see it on my to-read list; no matter how many times people say I should read it. Brave New World was a book I had such feelings about, and it was those feelings that kept me from reading it until now. There have been a few instances in my experience where those feelings I get turn out to be wrong and I end up thoroughly enjoying the book in question, but this definitely was not the case with Brave New World.

To be completely honest, I enjoyed the first portions of the book. Despite what I felt was poor writing on Huxley's part, I did find reading about the ways in which humans were grown and how society has changed to be quite fascinating. But that's about where my enjoyment of the story ended (and what kept me from giving this book only a one star rating).

John Savage (aka Aldus Huxley's mouthpiece) gets the honors of ruining this book for me. I will start by saying that I am not a religious person, but knowing that, don't be fooled into thinking that I cannot read a book with religious undertone without getting riled up, for it is not the case. I simply don't like to have it suddenly and vigorously thrust upon me with out warning, which is pretty much how it happens in Brave New World. It is one thing to express a view, another to cram it down the throat of the reader like it was their only key to salvation, and that is exactly what it seems like John Savage (an uneducated young man who's only real education seems to have come from reading Shakespeare) is trying to say: that without God, humanity is doomed, and it is because of their lack of God that the "civilized" peoples of Brave New World really aren't civilized at all. To that, I say phooey. I think it is because the controllers in this new world are playing at being God (or gods) that they are ultimately doomed. They cast God from their lives, how long will it be until the new civilized world casts the controllers away as easily as they cast away God? Or I could be completely wrong in this, I suppose...

In the end, Mr. Savage gets what he wants though, and becomes the sacrifice he always hoped he would be, except in this case, he is sacrificed not for the sake of the reader, but for the sake of Aldus Huxley's opinions, and that to me, doesn't seem like something worth sacrificing one's life for.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brave New World.

09/30/2011