Shira's Reviews > Standing Tall: Lessons in Turning Adversity into Victory

Standing Tall by C. Vivian Stringer

F_50x66
Jul 24, 08

Read in July, 2008

I mainly read this book, because I am a big fan of Rutgers women's basketball (and a Rutgers alum, of course). Clearly writing is not C. Vivian Stringer's strong suit (she had a co-writer, but it seems like it was mainly written in her own voice.) But even though the writing wasn't the best, I found her story very compelling. I knew going into the book that she had one of the best winning records in women's basketball history and is a great coach, but I didn't realize what a pioneer she was in women's sports. I really admired her determination and perseverance to break into the male-dominated (and primarily white-male dominated) world of college sports in the 1970s and 80s.

I also admire the way that Stringer she views basketball as a vehicle for achieving more important goals than just winning games -- for her it's about helping young women to grow, learn, and become successful at whatever they chose to do after college. Plus, the grace and strength she showed in dealing with many personal challenges is quite inspirational. Although certainly not the best book stylistically, I think it is definitely worth the read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Standing Tall.