Mel's Reviews > The Dark Tide

The Dark Tide by Josh Lanyon

Oct 05, 11

bookshelves: m-m, e-book, favorites
Read from October 01 to 04, 2011

The Dark Tide is the final book in the Adrien English Mysteries by Josh Lanyon and I'm so sad it's over. But I also have to say: I'm glad Lanyon stopped the story where he did. Eventhough I'd like to see much more of Adrien and the people in his life, it's better to leave us wanting more.

This book had the same ingredients as Lanyon's other stories: good, engaging, witty writing with humor and heart. It wasn't my favorite in the series though, but the rating (4,5 stars) is more based on the series in general.

In The Dark Tide construction workers find a corpse in Adrien's building, but this time around he's no suspect. The body is over 50 years old which means that the mystery plot revolved around a cold case.

I found the mystery to be okay, but not the most engaging in the series. A cold case just doesn't elicit the same sense of urgency and excitement as a 'fresh' police investigation. More importantly: the mystery served as a backdrop to the romance in stead of the other way around. And having gone through the angst and agony of the previous four books, I just needed to see as much of Adrien and Jake as possible, mysteries and murders be damned.

I had some issues with Adrien this book. Initially I was annoyed: I didn't get his reasoning, I didn't get the fact that he was so easily swayed by Mel, I hated that he kept giving mixed signals.
But then I started appreciating it. Appreciating the fact that Lanyon showed us both parties can show selfish and destructive behavior, can fool themselves, can cause heart ache... because of fear. And in this book, Adrien is not only trying to cope with his feelings of love and anger for Jake, but also with the fact that his whole life perspective has changed. Adrien's life is pretty much upside down, so I could forgive his behavior.
As for Jake: I never hated him. I loved him against my better judgment, (view spoiler)

Some have said the ending is abrupt but I think it fit the series -and our men- really well.

All in all: the Adrien English Mysteries is a very nice mixture of romance and mystery, with beautiful writing and characters who find their way into your heart. I'm sad to say goodbye.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Tide.

10/04/2011
95.0% "Almost done :("

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lauraadriana I have more Josh books to recommend!

message 2: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Yay, I'm looking forward to those recs. I already own Josh Lanyon Collected #1, The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks and The Art of Dying. I bought them last year I think. In paperback too!

Lauraadriana Mel wrote: "Yay, I'm looking forward to those recs. I already own Josh Lanyon Collected #1, The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks and The Art of Dying. I bought them last yea..."

I'd say read Come Unto These Yello Sands next, I think that book showcases the best of Josh's writing.

Johanna I read "The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks" a couple of weeks ago and liked it - but not as much as I liked "I Spy Something Bloody" which has a lot of relationship stuff in it and not so much mystery. So don't forget that one, when you continue with Josh Lanyon's books. :)

Johanna After I'm done with Adrien English books, I must try "Come Unto These Yellow Sands", too! :)

message 6: by Mel (last edited Oct 02, 2011 04:47AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Thanks girls. Added it :)

Oh and I just found out I own I Spy Something Bloody already :)

message 7: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Johanna how far along are you with the Adrien English series?

Johanna I've read 30% of The Hell You Say. Jake just told Adrien that Kate is pregnant! I can't believe it!!!! What an asshole!!!

message 9: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Yay, discussion time!
Well, I was sad and angry with Jake but I never thought he was an asshole. He was always upfront about his ideals: a married life with 2.4 children. He never promised Adrien anything. We see how much he cares for Adrien and how Adrien allows him to be himself. In a way he needs Adrien, but what he wants is something else.
At least, that's how I see it.

Johanna Yeah, of course you are right - as always... ;) I just feel so sorry for Adrien right now!!! And because Jake IS so charming in his awkward way and I don't want this thing between them to end!!!

It's absolutely true that Adrien never actually asked any commitment from Jake and Jake never promised Adrien anything of a kind. But Jake has been there for Adrien when ever he needed real help with his mystery related situations. And he cares about Adrien.... so it's really hard for me to except this!

And the hardest part is that you CAN NOT tell me, if this break up is going to be final. ARGH!!!!

message 11: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Of course I won't tell you anything... except for: this is only the beginning of the heart ache. Much more sad moments to come. THYS was my absolute favorite AE book.

Johanna More sad moments to come... oh, boy...

message 13: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Oh yes! I you need to rant, I'm available! :). I'll have the tissues ready.

Johanna Good to know... 'cause ranting is what I do. ;)

message 15: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel I can see that... ;)

Lauraadriana Mel wrote: "I can see that... ;)"

Are you done dearie?

message 17: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel I'm stalling, I'm stalling!

Lauraadriana Mel wrote: "I'm stalling, I'm stalling!

I think I'll be done in ten minutes if I actually get to reading. Meanwhile I'm busying myself with a debate on the BDB boards."

Girl go finish so you can start Yellow Sands!!

message 19: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Oh I'll try to buy that first. My cc is frozen (my fault, I gave a little too much info on a site launched my faulty spyware) so I hope Are has it :)

Indie Reviews Mel wrote: "I'm stalling, I'm stalling!

Hi Mel,

Did you finish reading? Thoughts? I must admit I loved the AE series and both characters. I'm definitely not in the "hate Jake" camp. Just the opposite in fact. Loved his complexities as I did Adrien's for that matter.

P.S. Thanks for the review nod :)

message 21: by Mel (last edited Oct 05, 2011 05:20PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Indigene! Yes I finished. I'm with you (and Lauraadriana) I'm a Jake non-hater. That's not to say I like what he did, but I could understand where he was coming from. In his mind, he was honest and fair -as much as one can be honest when one is lying to themselves. At the end, the person he was hurting the most was himself.
I really loved Jake. Almost as much as Adrien.

As for the review nod: naturally, it was beautiful! Which reminds me: (Lauraadriana, my SF reading buddy), check out Indigene's review for Soldiers! It's epic!

Lauraadriana Great review love!! Glad you weren't disappointed :0)

message 23: by Mel (last edited Oct 05, 2011 05:21PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Thank you! And thanks for twisting my arm to read it. Muah!

Lauraadriana Mel wrote: "Thank you! And thanks for twisting my arm to read it. Muah!
Oh and check my post #21 for another wonderful review of our two most favorite guys."

Heading there now!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

And there are lots more Lanyon books to read, so you're in luck!

Indie Reviews Mel wrote: "As for the review nod: naturally, it was beautiful! Which reminds me: (Lauraadriana, my SF reading buddy), check out..."

LOL! Mel, are you recruiting more SFites? Completely off topic - you know I have yet to read the last two chapters of Veterans. I know all ends well (couldn't avoid spoilers) but nope haven't read the ending yet.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL. I wish I'd never read those two chapters. I don't intend to when I read it again, either.

message 28: by Mel (last edited Oct 05, 2011 11:35PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Indigene, I'm always recruiting new blood (although in case of Lauraadriana: she has already read them, I was just showing off your review).
Why haven't you read the chapters? Honestly: I can't exactly recall what the last chapters entailed. Kate, (view spoiler).
Veterans... ah. I still feel sad when I think about that book. Not only to say goodbye to Dan and Vadim but also because I was so disappointed with the book in general! :(

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

(view spoiler)

message 30: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel (view spoiler)

Emanuela ~plastic duck~ I read the spoilers. Bad me. I deserved it. Ok, I'll read 'em and forget 'em.

Indie Reviews Mel wrote: "Why haven't you read the chapters?"/

At the time the authors had posted all the chapters online (no books yet from either) and a group of us were keeping a collective schedule of reading followed by discussion on The Phade. When we got to the last two chapters I wanted to read them on my own, finish the entire epic the way I started (I read Soldiers in 2008 in its entirety quietly on my own and then joined the online discussion). So that was the plan, but for a number of reasons, mostly time constraints, this didn't happen. And as time passed on I kept procrastinating.

@ Kate Mc. and Mel

Interesting that you both have similar reactions to the chapters. I did enjoy Veterans although perhaps not as much as Cycles 1 and 2.

So much time has now passed that I think if/when I do read them it'll be part of an overall re-read of all 3 cycles.

message 33: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Emanuela ~plastic duck~ wrote: "I read the spoilers. Bad me. I deserved it. Ok, I'll read 'em and forget 'em."

Oh no!

Indigene, there is a group reread going on in the Voinov group. You could try that?
I'm very curious to see how you'll find the last chapters.