Natalie's Reviews > Elizabeth Street: A novel based on true events

Elizabeth Street by Laurie Fabiano

Oct 02, 2011

Read from September 30 to October 02, 2011

This is a great story. I think the fact that this is based on a true story both helps and hinders the plot. The characters are fascinating (particularly Giovanna) and I think it really added to the plot to know that the ordeals that Giovanna has to go through are real.

That being said, I could have done without the flash forwards. Although sometimes the flash forwards helped me connect the dots, on the whole I found the interruptions in the plot to be distracting and the flash forwards really didn't add anything to the story. I also felt that the book ended a little abruptly, which is likely also because it is a true story. I would have liked it to have wound down slower...by the time you get to the end, you're so wrapped up in Giovanna and her young family that I found the quick wind down completely unsatisfying.

On the whole, a very enjoyable read and I would definitely recommend, especially to people who are interested in Italian immigration to the U.S. and the rise of the Mafia in New York City.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Elizabeth Street.