Catherine's Reviews > Spider’s Revenge

Spider’s Revenge by Jennifer Estep

Oct 01, 11

bookshelves: assassin-killer-bounty-hunter, contemporary, excellent, fantasy-paranormal-sci-fi, magic-mystical-ability, read-2011, series, vampire
Read from September 30 to October 01, 2011

Wow. Just wow. I wasn’t really sure what to expect from the conclusion to the Mab story arc—other than badass action scenes, of course. ;) But whatever I expected, this was better. We got the same awesome cast of characters and thrilling action scenes, but we also saw a vulnerable side to Gin and got the pleasure of watching her and her friends solidify into a solid team.

Let me just say, I didn’t expect Gin’s confrontations with Mab to turn out how they did. I had a vague image of her and Finn spending most of the book plotting, leading up to one big ass confrontation. How it turned out was so much better. There was one final climatic battle, but there were a lot of skirmishes along the way. I loved the uncertainty and vulnerability that Gin experienced after them. She’s apt to shoulder a lot of the blame when things go wrong, anyway, but here she had to face the fact that when the opportunity of a lifetime came around she faltered. Who wouldn’t angst over that?

Owen and Gin were excellent together. I’ve enjoyed them in the past, but here we got to see their relationship deepen. Gin finally opened herself up enough to be honest about her feelings. Due to Gin’s focus being on Mab, Owen is more of a background feature in the book, but he stood out whenever he was in a scene. Their scenes together and his unwavering devotion made me sigh. I can’t wait to see where they go from here.

I was thrilled to finally get more information on Jo-Jo and Sophia and their connection to Fletcher. I have wondered about it for a while now and was not disappointed with the truth. Sad and a little horrified, but not disappointed. This book did a really good job of strengthening Gin’s core group. I think Gin finally got an idea of what she means to everyone and exactly who she can count on when the chips are down. I also appreciated that Gin didn’t protest too much when the decision was made that she couldn’t handle this one alone.

I’m sure you can tell by now that I loved all the bits about the side characters. It wasn’t just the good guys that stood out, though. I also enjoyed an assassin team that was hunting Gin. Their dynamic nicely mirrored Gin’s connection to Fletcher and it was hard not to feel for them. The scene with the cookies really underscored Gin’s core self. No matter how much of a badass she is—and she is quite a badass—she never loses that core softness. She can be as cold and as vicious as they come, but her morals and her humanity will always have me on her side.

Finn and Bria were really great here, both individually and together. There came a time when they both royally screwed up, but I have to admire them for owning it. I wasn’t as upset with them as I probably should have been because (view spoiler)

I mentioned it before, but I loved, loved, loved the vulnerability that Gin showed. She was still tough as nails, but her feelings seemed closer to the surface when she wasn’t in her role as The Spider. At one point (view spoiler)

One last thing I have to mention about the book is the final showdown between Mab and Gin. That was AWESOME. Jennifer Estep writes excellent action scenes, and this one was even better because it had been so long in the making. Watching Gin and Mab duke it out had me on the edge of my seat. One word, people. Intense.
10 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spider’s Revenge.

09/30/2011 page 72
19.0% "

"Despite Bria's icy attitude, Finn didn't give up. He focused all of his attention on her, as if he were a general and she was just another battle to be won no matter what casualties he might suffer along the way--including the complete and utter loss of his self-respect, pride, and dignity."

-LOL!" 12 comments
09/30/2011 page 111
29.0% ""Why don't you leave being tough to me, and I'll let you handle being dead?"" 2 comments
09/30/2011 page 151
39.0% "Awwwww. *sniff, sniff*" 3 comments
09/30/2011 page 181
47.0% "Nice nod to her book Karma Girl." 7 comments
10/01/2011 page 317
83.0% "O_O Holy shit. Intense."

message 1: by Arielka (new) - added it

Arielka OH MY GOD!! Can't wait to read it....
I been waiting to see Owen and Gin together, and Gin's new adventures...
If you rated it 5 stars, I know I will love this book!!

Jess the Romanceaholic Gahhh I can't wait to get my hands on this book! Great review :)

Catherine Arielka wrote: "OH MY GOD!! Can't wait to read it....
I been waiting to see Owen and Gin together, and Gin's new adventures...
If you rated it 5 stars, I know I will love this book!!"

It was sooooo good. It was an excellent story arc wrap up.

Catherine Jess the Romanceaholic wrote: "Gahhh I can't wait to get my hands on this book! Great review :)"

Thanks! I hope you love it when you read it.

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Great review! Love the spoilers you referenced. I share the same feeling about the Gin And Bria moment. :o)

message 6: by MJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

MJ I loved this book so much :) Gin has to be one of my all time favorite heroines!

Catherine Anna wrote: "Great review! Love the spoilers you referenced. I share the same feeling about the Gin And Bria moment. :o)"

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it too.

Catherine MJ wrote: "I loved this book so much :) Gin has to be one of my all time favorite heroines!"

I have a serious girl crush on her. She's vulnerable and soft, yet can still kick major ass.

Lady Heather Great review Catherine!

Catherine Lady Heather wrote: "Great review Catherine!"

Thanks!