Cori's Reviews > The Scorch Trials

The Scorch Trials by James Dashner

Sep 30, 11

Read in September, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Is it just me? Or is it impossible to spell “scorch” on the first try? I am always trying to wedge an unnecessary “t” in there. “Scortch.”

Anywho.

Like The Maze Runner, The Scortch, er, Scorch Trials was both hit and miss for me. I liked the idea of the plot — the boys (and a new set of girls) trying to make their way across a barren wasteland, their goal being the expensive cure to an awful sickness that has ravaged earth. Again, the Thomas and his friends had to use their brains — and this time, a lot of brawn — to survive the desert. They also pick up some new friends (?) along the way, so the character base is widened a little and the fresh blood makes things interesting. There is a theme of betrayal running throughout the book, and Thomas (and, likewise, the reader) never knows who to trust.

But then there’s the writing. While Dashner did improve on showing instead of telling, I still wish that this had been written by someone else. His writing feels choppy and the sentences need more variation in length and tone. Sometimes the word choice was poor. This book is much more about plot than it is about the writing. Readers who are captivated by plot more than anything will probably enjoy it. If you’re one of those people who really likes a well-crafted sentence…this probably isn’t for you.

And, of course, as it is a series, there is NO closure at the end of the book. You have to read book #3 to find out what happens to Thomas and his pals. (It will be released next month!)

Read my full review here: http://letseatgrandpa.com/2011/09/28/...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scorch Trials.