Tiffany Neal's Reviews > Wonderstruck

Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick

Oct 15, 11

bookshelves: childrens-historical-fiction, 2011, childrens-mystery
Read from October 12 to 15, 2011

I adore how Brian Selznick has such talent to be able to skillfully craft a book with both pictures and words that equally tell an amazing story. I loved Hugo, so when I heard about Wonderstruck, I knew that I needed to get my hands on it.

Immediately I was intrigued by the concept: 2 different character's story's, 2 different time periods, one told in words, one told through pictures.

In the first part of the book, I held on to the mystery of how seamless I could go from one character's story to the next. Never did it feel jarring or confusing - which is amazing to me.

Their stories merge together, unraveling the mystery of their lives, intertwined with lots of history, NYC, and the Deaf community.

I still can't decided what's best about the books Brian Selznick writes, the pure talent or the amount of time he invests in his books. His author notes in both Hugo and Wonderstruck fascinate me and leave me in awe.

This may need to be a read aloud this year with the aid of my document camera. What a cool experience that would be for my kids to take in the pictures on the big projector screen!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wonderstruck.