Debbie-marie's Reviews > Return to Paradise

Return to Paradise by Simone Elkeles

Nov 09, 11

Recommended for: No one
Read in October, 2011

I'm sorry to say that this is one of the WORST books I've ever read.

No really, I'm sorry.

Let me just tell you that if you are reading this and have NOT read LEAVING PARADISE that that's actually a really great book. However, this one sucked. Like alot.

The first book I gave a straight 5, with no doubts at all. It was a great book. Beautifully written, it has a great theme. I never felt like it was too rushed and I could ACTUALLY imagine it happening in real life because it was just like that wicked. When I finished it I was pretty sure it was one of the best books I've ever read. Now I bet you can imagine how I felt when I eagerly awaited this book, just to find out it was a huge piece of crap. I honestly cannot understand how it got a 4.11 average on it's reviews.

Well, I gues I'll talk about it.

Have you ever read one of those books where you wait and wait and wait and wait for the good part to come, but it never comes? Well this is that. Times 1000. Unlike the first book, Return to Paradise was EXTREMELY rushed. On page one your learning about Caleb being arested for whatever and then on page 10 you meet Maggie and they start hashing out problems in a COMPLETELY unhashful way that sort of confuses me. I mean If it was ME I wouldn't be all "Hey, what up?".
Anyway, I'm friggin' angry because they don't even give you time for news to settle! Its just BAM BAM BAM. To be honest, I get lazy when books have 10 page long descriptions on what happened between two books in a series. However, in books like this, it's completely necessary, but NOT given to you.

The second thing I hate about this book is how PLASTIC it is. Not ANY of the GODDAMNED dialouge would EVER happen in real life! I swear that Maggie only cries when it's completely irrevelant and useless to the situation. I want to tell the author that I understand the point of these books. DONT DRINK AND DRIVE. She doesnt have to SPELL it OUT because she does, mostly at the end, but she does and it annoys me. In the middle of normal converstaion, I wouldnt be surprised if they had all broke out in dance because her dialouge was just THAT stupid.

Another thing I hate was Maggie. As we know, in the first book she gains confidence. But, like everything else, it's portrayed when it SHOULDNT be. I mean DUDE stand up to your mom about your dad. Or just stand up to your dad! And FYI, confidence and sluttyness are too TOTALLY different things.

Don't even get me started about the ending.

But to sum it up, if you've read Leaving Paradise, stick to THAT book. Don't ruin a good read (pun(:) because its sequal is a complete waste of paper.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Return to Paradise.

Quotes Debbie-marie Liked

Simone Elkeles
“If you tiptoe into cold water, you're missing out on the rush of plunging in headfirst.”
Simone Elkeles, Return to Paradise