Erin's Reviews > Crazy River: Exploration and Folly in East AFrica

Crazy River by Richard Grant

Oct 09, 11

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from September 30 to October 09, 2011

Everyone should read this book. Why? Richard Grant, like the explorers of old, has balls. He travels to scary, far off places that sane people dream about seeing but avoid out of common sense and fear. He makes you have not just a sense of a place, but makes you see it, feel it, smell it and learn its history...all in a captivating travelogue that never dries up or diverts from its entertaining path. Africa, despite whatever attempts have been made is still the dark continent...unfortunately, due to overpopulation and the evils of foreign aid, all the things we Westerners love about it (namely the wildlife) are disappearing at a far more rapid pace than most of us realize. Its people are its greatest plague. Even so, Mr. Grant tries to look on the bright side and hold out hope for a people who frankly never have responded to any sort of help in the past. His humanity is appealing although misguided. One can only hope that some type of population control will help bring back the majestic animals we all grow up loving. Even though I disagreed with some of Mr. Grant's mindset, he's an amazing writer and adventurer. The world needs explorers even in modern times, when most people think exploration is outdated.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crazy River.