Toneeshia's Reviews > Good Sports: Rhymes about Running, Jumping, Throwing, and More

Good Sports by Jack Prelutsky

Sep 30, 11

bookshelves: children-s-literature
Read on September 29, 2011

Good Sports is a poetry book for primary aged children. It is a 2008 A.L.A. Notable Children's Book. Good Sports describes different sports including basketball, soccer, and gymnastics. I feel this book deserves five stars because the book is just so appealing. The illustrations are the most appealing aspect of the book. The art is genuine with obvious paint strokes along with other painting techniques, it appears the illustrator used a sponge and maybe a stamp to add to the illustrations giving it greater texture. He also used bright abstract colors. The theme, obviously is sports and is evident with the different sports that are written about as well as how it feels to win and lose but also how fun it is to play sports. The poem is narrative poem that alternates in which lines rhyme. I believe that children would find Good Sports appealing because of the subject matter and the illustrations, reading Good Sports was the first time I encountered illustrations such as these in a children's book. As a professional working with children, I would have the children write about and draw a picture of a sport they enjoy playing or a sport they would like to play and why.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Sports.