Lily's Reviews > Blockade Billy

Blockade Billy by Stephen King

Sep 30, 11

Even the most die-hard baseball fans don't know the true story of William “Blockade Billy” Blakely. He may have been the greatest player the game has ever seen, but today no one remembers his name. He was the first--and only--player to have his existence completely removed from the record books. Even his team is long forgotten, barely a footnote in the game's history.

Every effort was made to erase any evidence that William Blakely played professional baseball, and with good reason. Blockade Billy had a secret darker than any pill or injection that might cause a scandal in sports today. His secret was much, much worse... and only Stephen King, the most gifted storyteller of our age, can reveal the truth to the world, once and for all. (Synopsis provided by goodreads)

Blockade Billy is a novella, so it's a fairly quick read. When I was reading this, it read like a cometary of sorts. While it's not one of my favorites by King, it is definitely still a good read. It took a while for the King twist to come about, but when it did it was one I wasn't expecting.

I think one thing I liked the most about it is King wrote it like the narrator was telling him the story. There are many times in which the narrator addresses him as Mr. King. I haven't seen this style before and I enjoyed it.

From my understanding it only took Mr. King two weeks to write it which is amazing! It was enjoyable and if you are looking to read a book by King and haven't read one before, I'd say start here or with a short story, it's not very long and it gives readers a taste of his work. It's not as scary as his older work but still a wonderful afternoon read.

* Hardcover: 132 pages
* Publisher: Scribner (May 25, 2010)
* ISBN-10: 1451608217
* Author: Stephen King
* Overall rating **** out of 5 stars
* Cover art: I like the old timeness of it.
* Obtained: From my local library.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blockade Billy.