Kelly Hager's Reviews > Awake at Dawn

Awake at Dawn by C.C. Hunter

Oct 01, 11

Read from September 30 to October 01, 2011

Kylie is starting to love Shadow Falls Camp and especially her roommates Della (a vampire) and Miranda (a witch) and since love interest #1 (Lucas, a werewolf) is gone, she's all about love interest #2 (Derek, a faery). But...what is Kylie? We know that she can talk to ghosts but we soon learn that she seems to have aspects of several different paranormal creatures...which makes it impossible to learn exactly what she is. And to make matters worse, a ghost keeps visiting her, telling her to save someone she loves, before it's too late. Problem is, the ghost isn't very specific and Kylie doesn't know who's in danger, which makes saving them rather difficult.

This series is a complete guilty pleasure for me. It's fun and funny, and I love the characters (especially Della, who takes "moody" to a whole new level). The only problem is that the author has a tendency to faux-swear, which is one of my pet peeves. How many teenagers accuse themselves of acting like a "b with an itch"? Teens swear in real life; it's okay to have them swear in books, too.

But that's a minor problem to have. This series is consistently enjoyable, and I am excited for book three (conveniently coming out sometime next April---possibly just in time for my birthday!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Awake at Dawn.