Calisto's Reviews > Touch of Power

Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder

Nov 04, 11

bookshelves: netgalley, good-universe-poor-execution, ya
Read on November 04, 2011

Avry is a healer in a world that blames them for starting a plague and now executes them on sight. Tired of running, she is captured by a band of rogues who have been searching for a healer in order to save their plague-ridden prince. Now Avry must decide who lives and who is worth dying for.

Originally I was going to give this three stars but realized (the more I discussed this story with a friend) that I was being overly generous (blame it on the overdose of fudge while reading). There is nothing blatantly wrong with this story on the surface. In fact, I think some readers will enjoy Avry's adventure. Especially if they aren't well versed in the fantasy genre (or simply haven't read a gazillion books since they learned to read).

This story has a beautiful, spunky, powerful heroine who takes on the illness and injuries of others onto herself. She even heals when she knows that her life would be in jeopardy if she is found out. She heals to the brink of her own death because she deems that person worthy. She helps rescue kidnapped victims and heals the poor, conscripted soldiers of the villain. I'm trying to find fault with MarySue...

I could go on about the hard-hitting 'hero' (it's not an attribute), the lack of dimension to the main villain, the tropey evil-ex, the 'red shirt crewman' who is destined to not make it to the end of the mission, or the the motley crew of Hollywood extras, but that would take too long.

So instead I will say that it took me a long time to figure out that I simply was not engaged with the characters. Because of that lack of interest, I focused on the story only to realize that it was rather shallow, making the bland, fillery narrative brain numbing. By the last quarter of the story, the only emotion I was getting was anger at all of the missed opportunities. It turned out that the Power of Magic was a mere shadow of a better story.

ARC provided by publisher via Netgalley.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Touch of Power.

11/04/2011 page 225
56.0% "Just ok."
11/04/2011 page 325
81.0% "eh. heavy handed."
11/04/2011 page 325
81.0% "what a waste of a good villain."
11/04/2011 page 345
86.0% "Now this is really starting to annoy me."