Shari Larsen's Reviews > Far Away Home

Far Away Home by Susan Denning

Oct 04, 11

Read from September 30 to October 03, 2011 — I own a copy

In post-Civil War New York City, Aislynn Denehy is orphaned at the age of 17. She finds herself with no job, no place to live, and no family to help her. She then decides to go across the frontier to Utah, where her guardian Tim is living. Accompanying her is good-natured, good-guy Johnny, who is is love with Aislynn, but frustrated that while Aislynn is fond of him, she insists she does not love him that way.

Life along the frontier, and later in a Utah mining camp, is hard, but Aislynn is not afraid of hard work, and finds opportunities to support herself. She makes a life for herself, with small joys and devastating losses. Also complicating things is another man in her life, the intriguing Liam Moran, Aislynn is drawn to him, yet mistrustful of him at the same time.

I really enjoyed this novel; it was very rich in historical detail about what life was like for women at that time, especially on the frontier trail and in the rough shod world of the West. I just hope the author plans a sequel; the ending left a LOT of loose ends hanging!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Far Away Home.