Kathy's Reviews > My Father's Paradise: A Son's Search for His Jewish Past in Kurdish Iraq

My Father's Paradise by Ariel Sabar

Sep 30, 11

bookshelves: book-club, war, historical, memoir, iraq, israel
Read in July, 2011

It took me some time to get into this book and it definitely wasn't easy to read, partly because it was all so foreign to me. I didn't have much knowledge at all about that part of the world. The political and religious issues of the Middle East, as important as they are, are a weak point in my understanding. That made it hard to follow at times, but I also learned a great deal from it and feel a little more of a grasp on the history of that area. The history of the author's family and the Jewish Kurds in Iraq was truly interesting to me, as well as the story of the author's growth in his understanding and his relationship with his father, a rather fascinating man. I didn't quite finish in time for book club, and when that happens I often drop the book without finishing, meaning to get back to it but never quite getting there, but this one I was interested enough to continue to the end.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Father's Paradise.