Lexish's Reviews > Dear Genius: The Letters of Ursula Nordstrom

Dear Genius by Ursula Nordstrom

Feb 24, 12

Read from September 30, 2011 to February 24, 2012

This book was recommended to me by a friend whose mother did some freelance editing of it years ago. Ursula Nordstrom was the editor of the children's division of Harper Books when that publishing house was handling the development of classic books like Where the Wild Things Are, Goodnight Moon, Charlotte's Web, The Giving Tree, Harold & the Purple Crayon, A Birthday for Frances (and the other Frances books), Little House on the Prairie, and so many others.

This is a compilation of Ursula Nordstrom's everyday letters back and forth to many of the now-famous authors we know and love. Though we don't see the authors' letters *to* U.N., her writing is so detailed that we're able to follow along without viewing the notes to which she is responding.

I note that in the beginning, the letters aren't always particularly gripping. Please, stick with it! Ursula Nordstrom is a vibrant, energetic, nutty individual whose correspondence with these well-known children's book authors gets progressively more expressive, funny, and entertaining as the years go on and she becomes established as editor.

If your parents read to you avidly when you were little -- or if you are now a devoted reader of classic children's books to kids in your life -- this is for you. Also makes a very nice gift for the person who read you all those fantastic books night after night at bedtime!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dear Genius.