Manuel's Reviews > The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

Aug 31, 09

I loved this book.
It was first read to me in 4th grade. We would all come in from lunch and our teacher would read to us for about 30 minutes before we would start class.
I remember this book because it wasnt read to us by Mrs Graham, but instead it would be read by Mr Goodwin, her long-haired, bearded, Birkenstock wearing teacher's aid.
Over the next few weeks we were enthralled by this story, we couldnt wait for lunch period to be over so we could hear what was happening in this magic kingdom, called Narnia.
From the begining we all identified with Lucy and her siblings. How was it possible that an English girl could transport herself to another place, simply by hiding in a wardrobe? And once through the wardrobe, there was this wonderful and friendly creature called a faun, Mr Tumnus. All this in only the first chapter.
As the chapters progressed we got to know more about the siblings and the other creatures who inhabit Narnia.
Some people critisize C.S Lewis for using too much Christian symbolism, but I was in 4th grade and to me this was the most wonderful and exciting book ever written for children.

When Mr Goodwin finished the book. I instantly went to the library so I could read it myself. I was very proud this was the first book I read "without pictures". To my joy, I discovered there were other books about Narnia and I eventually read all of them too. Evenutually I discovered other wonderful places in other books and I continue to look for them today.
I will always be grateful to Mr Goodwin, he started off by telling me about Narnia, but in the end, he introduced me to so much more through my on going love of books.
Thank you Mr Goodwin, for everything.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by VB (new) - rated it 5 stars

VB i no Narnia is a wonderfull book to read. I first read it myself just about 2 years ago on my 12th birthday. it is great i love it.

Deepti I agree with you guys. I first read it in 5th grade and I had asked the complete series for my bday and read every single one of them. I loved them!

message 3: by Nenad (new)

Nenad Its cool

Hannah Hi, Manuel. If you liked the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, you should check out the "King of the Trees" series by William Burt. (The Goodreads page for Book I is: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/58...) I've read all six books in his series. I hear the seventh one is coming out this summer. I think they are better than Narnia, but that's just my opinion. They make nice readalouds, because each book has a pronunciation guide and glossary at the back. The series web site is http://www.greencloaks.com. It's a fun site.

Kathy Davie What a lovely way to interest kids in wanting to read!! You lucky dog!!

Suna This was the first book 'non-picture' book I ever read too. Also in year 4 :) I came to write my first review ever for my first book ever and saw that what you had to say was along the same lines as what I was about to say :)

message 7: by Angelpupplover (new)

Angelpupplover this is a nice book that every body can read i am a book lover this is the best book i ever read
LOVE BOOKS

message 8: by Josh.burns (new) - added it

Josh.burns Guys what button do you press to read the book from your books? Thankyou

Cece I completely agree with your review. It said it all, everything I would have if I wrote a review for it- I felt the exact same way and also had it read to me in grade four. Makes me want to read the whole thing again.

Shannon Wow... I related to this review completely and wholeheartedly! :')

Charlie Love the book