Dpthought0's Reviews > Ready Player One

U_50x66
Oct 04, 11

bookshelves: sci-fi
Read in October, 2011

I absolutely loved this book, with the caveat that I'm almost exactly the same age as the author and 99% of the references were part of the childhood / young adult part of my life.

Yes, this is not exactly a deep book. I read this right after Neal Stephenson's "Anathem" (which I loved), and the difference was jarring, but in a *good* way.

Ready Player One is a fun, fast read. I read 80% of it the first night in bed, and finished it the following morning. I immediately re-read it over the next few days. If you were born in the '70s and grew up in the '80s and '90s you'll feel right at home. Sure, the references come flying out at you from the first page, but they fit well within the context of the story and indeed, the clues / key / gate puzzles would have required someone to have such exhaustive knowledge of the '80s and '90s nerd culture to play the game with any chance of winning.

I think the author did a great job fleshing out OASIS, when compared to either the Metaverse (Snow Crash) or The Matrix / Cyberspace from William Gibson's work. Of course, so much has happened in the computing world since those books were written that there is more to work with.

It may have been nice to spend a little more time looking at the social and political situation of the real world, but when taken from the perspective of the protagonist, who is 18-19 years old and has spent much more of his life in OASIS compared to reality, it makes sense. When we do see the real world, between the few parts that take place outside and the stint with IOI, it's almost a welcome break to read about OASIS again.

All in all, I'd highly recommend this book - but specifically only to people who grew up in the '80s and '90s. I think the references are a bit much if you aren't familiar with them in the first place. I heard that Warner Brothers bought the rights, and am curious to see how they would pull this off as a movie. I mean, I have to assume that they would not be able to license all of the different movie / book / game universes and would focus on their own material, which would kill it. I guess we'll have to see.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ready Player One.