Cody's Reviews > Hounded

Apr 05, 12

bookshelves: owned, reviewed-tbb, paperback, read-in-2012
Read from February 28 to March 13, 2012

Synopsis:
Atticus O’Sullivan, last of the Druids, lives peacefully in Arizona, running an occult bookshop and shape-shifting in his spare time to hunt with his Irish wolfhound. His neighbors and customers think that this handsome, tattooed Irish dude is about twenty-one years old—when in actuality, he’s twenty-one centuries old. Not to mention: He draws his power from the earth, possesses a sharp wit, and wields an even sharper magical sword known as Fragarach, the Answerer.

Unfortunately, a very angry Celtic god wants that sword, and he’s hounded Atticus for centuries. Now the determined deity has tracked him down, and Atticus will need all his power—plus the help of a seductive goddess of death, his vampire and werewolf team of attorneys, a sexy bartender possessed by a Hindu witch, and some good old-fashioned luck of the Irish—to kick some Celtic arse and deliver himself from evil.

My Thoughts:
How could I resist reading this book for so long?! It was only a matter of time though before I did read it. What’s not to love with a character who’s Irish, can use magic, is over two centuries old, and is a badass? Nothing I tell you. Hounded was definitely a treat to read and I cannot wait to delve into the sequel, Hexed, but alas, I must wait until the gods of wealth decide to bless me with enough to afford a new book. Kevin Hearne does a great job of building the scenes with imagery and mood, and since I live near the area the book is centered in, I can attest that it is all VERY real.

Oberon, the main character, Atticus’s Irish Wolfhound, has got to be one of my favorite characters. I love how his mind is always stuck on sausage and French Poodles, which I feel is true to what a dog’s thoughts would be stuck on. The relationship built between Atticus and Oberon, and other characters for that matter, are given realistic tones and we are allowed glimpses into the mind of a 2,100 year-old druid. The plot is full and teeming with action, mystery and suspense, which helps to keep things fast-paced, but not so fast that you get lost as a reader. I feel like my thoughts are all over the place with this review, because there are so many good things I want to point out, but that would make this post ridiculously long and I know most of us are pretty ADD in today’s world, so I will end it with this:GO. GET. THIS. BOOK. NOW.

Kevin Hearne’s newest book in the Iron Druid Chronicles, Tricked, is set for release on April 24, 2012. Preorder now!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hounded.

03/08/2012 page 49