Mandi Schreiner's Reviews > Fever

Fever by Joan  Swan

Jan 27, 12

bookshelves: dnf
Read from January 26 to March 01, 2012

Unfortunately, I can't handle the racial slurs in this book. And yes, I realize they are in there to make us not like a certain character (at least that is my assumption. I am dnf'ing after pg 50 or so). Although because his character is friends with (or at least tagging along) with the hero, he has a lot of page time.

But for me personally, there is no reason to use the N word or a slur against an Asian woman in a book. If you don't want me to like the character, than think of a different way to do it. I just can't handle language like that. It really upset me.

Otherwise, the set up for the book in the first few chapters is pretty good but I am not going to continue.
22 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fever.

message 1: by mad4rombks (new)

mad4rombks This was one I took off my wishlist months ago because of the constant tweeting and retweeting of it. Got old very fast and while I was interested at first, the numerous RT's about it just turned me off completely so I removed it off my list.

message 2: by Helyce (new) - added it

Helyce That bad, huh? Bummer! After a promising start!

Mandi Schreiner mad4rombks wrote: "This was one I took off my wishlist months ago because of the constant tweeting and retweeting of it. Got old very fast and while I was interested at first, the numerous RT's about it just turned m..."

Ah..too much promo? Boo.

Mandi Schreiner Helyce wrote: "That bad, huh? Bummer! After a promising start!"

It just wasn't handled well in my opinion.

message 5: by mad4rombks (new)

mad4rombks Yes, way too much, IMO. If it hadn't been for that, I think it would still be on my wishlist but they were aggressively promo'ing that book much too early and it got old very fast. Sad for the author as it's her debut and all but I'll be passing on it.

message 6: by Shari (new) - added it

Shari I thought I was the only one getting irritated with the promo on Twitter. I know this is her first published novel, but the constant Tweeting moved it off my wish list. Now to hear the language used puts me off even more. Thank for your honest feelings.

Mandi Schreiner I agree - I don't like it when authors over-promo stuff on twitter. Not the place

message 8: by Liza (new) - added it

Liza Makes me sad about the racial slurs. Even without the major promo on twitter, I would be turned off by racial slurs. Heck, The Help is bugging me with the N word and it is set in MS in the 60's.

message 9: by Katie(babs) (new)

Katie(babs) Racial slurs as the "N" word and other derogatory names? O.o

message 10: by Has (new)

Has O_O I would be put off with the hero tagging along let alone being friendly with a racist idiot! It doesn't give a good impression either on him. Glad I don't follow the author if she's RT like mad.

message 11: by Nicole (new)

Nicole That's too bad, especially since you said it started off really well! :(

message 12: by Joan (new)

Joan Swan Oh, darn. You missed the part where he dies a horrible death :( Sorry it was upsetting to you.

Sandy M It's too bad you didn't give the author a chance to remedy that "problem" for you. You missed one hell of a book.

message 14: by Mandi (new) - rated it 1 star

Mandi Schreiner I have no desire to read a book that uses that type of language.

Maybe I'll try the next one in the series.

message 15: by Violetta (new)

Violetta Vane I can deal with racial slurs as long as there's actually a serious depiction of race going on. If they're used for cheap purposes (and 99% of the time in stories with white protagonists, they're used for cheap purposes) I'm very hurt by them. Thanks for noting this.

Lisa Jo I agree with Sandy M...you missed an awesome book. And if you truly quit reading where you say you did, you may have encountered it once more and that was it for the rest of the novel.

message 17: by Mandi (new) - rated it 1 star

Mandi Schreiner Lisa wrote: "I agree with Sandy M...you missed an awesome book. And if you truly quit reading where you say you did, you may have encountered it once more and that was it for the rest of the novel."

The words she chose to use to depict a character as being an unlikable jerk, are extremely hateful. There is absolutely no reason for this author to include those words in this book.

And I did truly quit reading it right where I said I did. I refuse to read a book where these words are thrown around without caution. And it wasn't a "problem" I had, but a PROBLEM.

message 18: by mad4rombks (new)

mad4rombks I feel like you're justifying yourself, Mandi, and to be honest? You don't need to. The book didn't work for you. PERIOD. Not everyone is going to love every single book out there and if we had to justify our reasons? We'd never get to the books we want to read and love. Move on, girl, move on. ;)

message 19: by Mandi (new) - rated it 1 star

Mandi Schreiner mad4rombks wrote: "I feel like you're justifying yourself, Mandi, and to be honest? You don't need to. The book didn't work for you. PERIOD. Not everyone is going to love every single book out there and if we had to ..."

Okay..I'm moving on!! :) :) :)

(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick Boo that it didn't work for you. If it wasn't comfortable for you then stopping where you did was the right thing to do. Continuing on is like eating a food you don't like and hoping it'll grow on you. Too many book sout there to waste your time on one that just doesn't work for you.

message 21: by Shari (new) - added it

Shari While I haven't read this book, I am behind Mandi 100%. There are tons of books to read. If this one offended you, then you have every right to stop reading it and make your opinion known as to why. I don't intend to read this book based on the language used. I am not a prude by a long shot, but I don't believe in using racial slurs in this day and age. It isn't needed and authors need a better way of expressing the situation other than using words that are offensive. There are tons of books and maybe the next one by this author may not offend us. If so, then I am willing to give it a shot, but I have a TBR pile a mile high and I don't need to try to get over something that offends me.

Thank you Mandi for your honest feedback on this book.

message 22: by Scooper (new) - added it

Scooper Speaks After reading your comment thread I don't even want to post my review to GR. I had the same issues you did.

message 23: by willaful (last edited Feb 29, 2012 06:00PM) (new)

willaful mad4rombks wrote: "I feel like you're justifying yourself, Mandi, and to be honest? You don't need to. The book didn't work for you. PERIOD. Not everyone is going to love every single book out there and if we had to ..."

Absolutely! I sometimes DNF books that include slurs about developmentally disabled children. I don't care how awesome the books are or how well-justified the remark or whatever, I have enough of that in my actual damn life without needing it in my pleasure reading!

message 24: by Ridley (new) - added it

Ridley If the language makes you so uncomfortable that you can't/don't want to finish the book, it's the author's failure, not the reader's. You shouldn't have to wait until the end of a book for problematic language or content to be made meaningful.

I know there's a way to use oppressive/insensitive language and themes meaningfully. I've seen it done. Unfortunately, I've also seen it used in a way that screams "white privilege." Judging by the author's response upthread, this looks like a mess of unpacked privilege.

message 25: by Amber (new)

Amber "If the language makes you so uncomfortable that you can't/don't want to finish the book, it's the author's failure, not the reader's."

Mmm, not necessarily. There are some readers who don't want to read about certain rough/dark topics, no matter how well they are handled. It's not a failure on either side. For example, I might put down a book where a child dies, but that's not a failure of the author.

But that's only in a really general sense. I have no idea about this book. I'm kind of curious.

message 26: by Mandi (new) - rated it 1 star

Mandi Schreiner Amber wrote: ""If the language makes you so uncomfortable that you can't/don't want to finish the book, it's the author's failure, not the reader's."

Mmm, not necessarily. There are some readers who don't want ..."

No I agree - certain subject matters, no matter how they are written, may not be favorable for the reader.

I do though that the subject matter in this particular book was handled very poorly.

message 27: by Mandi (new) - rated it 1 star

Mandi Schreiner insert *think*

Sandy M Have to disagree with you, Mandi. The man was a career criminal, raised obviously in racism, it's all he knew besides crime, and people like that exist today. And even though folks may think in this day and age this type of language and/or behavior doesn't need to be used in books, racism still exists in this day and age, and Joan handles it perfectly for this character. She's true to the character throughout his appearance in the book. If readers would give the book a fair shot, they'd see that.

message 29: by Katie(babs) (last edited Mar 01, 2012 04:34PM) (new)

Katie(babs) After reading Jane from Dear Author's process and quotes from this book, I can understand why Mandi would DNF it http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 30: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Sandy - while I agree that racism is still a very real problem in our world today, that doesn't mean anyone has to tolerate it in their fiction. I read to escape into a new world, a new romance, a new story. As the reader, I can CHOOSE which stories I want to read. I don't HAVE to give any book a "fair shot," because my reading pleasure differs from yours and Mandi's and everyone else. I, for one, would never choose to read a story where the racial slurs were thrown around like candy at a 4th of July parade.

Mandi is feel to feel that the subject matter was handled poorly, just as you are free to feel differently. It doesn't make either of you right or wrong, it's just an opinion.

Jen (That's What I'm Talking About) Very interesting discussion. Everyone has the right to their opinions, and I for one am glad we don't all see things the same way. I agree that each of us have our comfort zones and tolerances on a wide range of subject matter. (I don't do child torture or kidnapping.)

As a reader, each of us has the luxury of picking the books we want to read. Although I had no issues with how the character was written and the language he used (and he did die a horrible death pretty early in the book), that doesn't mean I would be able to tolerate the same language in a different book. For me, it worked for the character and I didn't see it as dominating the first few chapters, and found myself focusing on the other characters. Doesn't make my reading of the book OR me "bad," it's just my opinion. And Mandi, you should have stopped when you did because the character, words and story didn't work for you. Period.

Thank you for the discussion. I really enjoy talking about books!

message 32: by Michelle (new)

Michelle You shouldn't have to justify yourself to anyone. There are too many good books out there to waste your time on books that you aren't enjoying.

Also any author or fan that is petty enough to chide you deserves to be ignored.

message 33: by Sigrun (new)

Sigrun I hate all crude or bad language, but I'm interested in the story and series. Perhaps, if I can find the book at our library, I'll read it and find out how "bad" it gets. I have some very dear African friends who are like family to me and I wouldn't like to see them or anyone be maligned. I guess I very much appreciate a tolerant world.