Drew's Reviews > Jurassic Park

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton

Oct 06, 11

Read from September 29 to 30, 2011

Sometimes I worry that my taste in books is getting really snobby. Then I read something like Jurassic Park, and realize that that is exactly true. I can't just sit back and absorb the brilliantly original (as far as I know) idea and the deftly told action scenes. For some reason I have to quibble over awkward sentences, clumsy exposition, and strange dialogue tags. I can't accept Crichton's weird Luddite agenda, even though ordinarily I'd agree with a lot of his points, because he tries to sneakily insert it in a novel, which I find offensive, if only because it thinks it's in disguise. I fixate on Malcolm, Crichton's snide author-stand-in (notice Malcolm always wears all black, and then see Crichton in his author picture -- all black!) whom, again, I'd probably like if not for the nagging feeling that someone is trying to indoctrinate me.

I've read almost every Crichton novel, and I never got around to this one because I'd seen the movie so many times. But I enjoyed many of them: Andromeda Strain, The Terminal Man, Timeline, Congo were all really cool when I read them, roughly between the ages of 12 and 16. Why can't I enjoy them now??

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jurassic Park.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Christopher Yi Many authors use a character (or several characters) who are types of author-stand-in to express their opinions. Philosophers don't make money to sit back and ponder the universe, so they publish it in a book form, or movie, or other art. Perhaps the character of Malcolm seems a little obvious as the author-stand-in since he's one of the few people who actually said "An island full of dinosaurs is a bad idea!" ahead of time.

Rayroy I read Crichton in high school and haven't read anything by him in years, if I did I might not like it so much. It's just simple when you think about. I'd would more then likely still read Crichton and mass paperbacks if I didn't read "Choke" by Chuck Palahniuk, which was a gateway to Don Delillo other great authors, that I had no clue about in My Crichton, R.I. Stein days

message 3: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason Too funny. I also haven't read Crichton in a super long time...it would be interesting to discover what I think now if I go back to him.

David Sarkies I guess the day we stop reading entertaining novels is the day we stop being entertained.

message 5: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan I read Jurassic Park and The Lost World a dozen times between 4th and 8th grade, as well as a host of terrible Star Trek and Star Wars novels. I also used to enjoy Slimer Hi-C....nothing wrong with tastes changing.