JJ's Reviews > The Isle of Blood

The Isle of Blood by Rick Yancey

Sep 30, 11

Read in September, 2011

You guys, my love for Pellinore Warthrop is reaching slightly hysterical levels. To the point where I've seriously considered writing my Teddy Bear a letter that says "Dear Bear: I love you, but it's not you, it's Pellinore Warthrop." I have to keep reminding myself "He's fictional, he's fictional, he's fictional..."

The best draw of these books (aside from the pitch perfect diction and tone) for me is how deftly-drawn the relationship between Will Henry and the doctor are. Oh god, it makes me FEEEEEEEEEEEEL things. I love feeling things. I love feeling things that have nothing to do with romance whatsoever.

My only complaint, really, has been a consistent one throughout these series: that there is a serious dearth of ladies. Female characters do play roles in these books, but the narrative belongs completely and utterly to men. I suppose it makes sense given the time period (and I would hate the illusion Yancey casts with his prose to be broken by something as horrid as an anachronistic heroine), but after a while, the plethora of dudes gets a little ridiculous. Really? No ladies that aren't mothers or love interests? No female secretaries in the Society? Nothing?

Still, despite this flaw (and it is a serious flaw, make no mistake), I love these books to pieces. Love, love, love. Oh god, the next one needs to come out immediately. IMMEDIATELY.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Isle of Blood.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Miller JJ - I keep looking at these and wondering if my 10 year old could handle the reading level and content. Does is skew upper MG or more YA? Maybe I should read them myself and find out, after your glowing recommendation :D

message 2: by JJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

JJ Dawn wrote: "JJ - I keep looking at these and wondering if my 10 year old could handle the reading level and content. Does is skew upper MG or more YA? Maybe I should read them myself and find out, after your g..."

I think he could. They're not inaccessible to a young reader, although the gore/grossout factor is pretty high.

I actually think they skew adult; they straddle that funny space that's half upper MG/half adult literary (otherwise known as my favourite liminal space), although the content is definitely much darker than your typical MG horror, so...who knows. It's a curious beast, but they are SO, SO GOOD.

message 3: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Miller And I'm downloading to my kindle to read over the weekend. Thanks, JJ!